MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My Very First Jam!!!!!!

I am SOOOOOO excited...

Yesterday, I canned a dozen jars of fresh, organic peach jam from peaches my children, DH and I picked at a local farm!!!

I canned it in a boiling water bath...and they ALL sealed and set! :D What a great feeling...even though it's a little silly, I suppose! hehe

And I owe it all too all y'all here...I never could have been confident enough to try canning without you guys!!!! :grouphug: Thanks, guys!!!

CannedNerd: Sooooooooooo good! :) Just as good as the fresh peaches, and cleaner, since there's no juice running down our arms. LOL

Violet, I'm so glad I'm not the only one -- and that this feeling of satisfaction doesn't end! :D

WTG on the canning. It's a good feeling isn't it?

LOL Steph...that's what I'm asking myself now!

I was a little scared to get a pressure canner and can meat, because I know a lady who saw some botulism from home canned meat in Utah...but I think once I do some more BWB canning, I'll save up and invest in a pressure canner.

For now, I'm thinking I'll try some strawberry jam or something...strawberries are on sale for a buck a container right now! Hmmm...what else can you do with strawberries and mason jars...? :D

Interesting this person "saw" Botulism in her jar since the toxin is odorless, colorless and tasteless. Even spoilage by other bacterias are not required for it to exist, though often both occur. Makes you wonder what she was really looking at.

Archived