MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Aw crap!- UPDATE!!!

My pressure canner dried out while I had beef stew in there. I'm guessing the water got VERY low or it siphoned water from the jars because there was a little itty bit of VERY DARK liquid left in there & about 10m before the timer was about to go off, I started smelling the burning smell. I have the jars separated from my earlier batch in case they're ruined, but what could have cause this? I've never had this happen. There was plenty of water in there when I started it, the seal looks & feels ok, the canner's less than 2 years old. HELP!!

How much water did you start with ? You need 2-3 inches of water before the jars go in. Many manuals will say 2 quarts, but that is not enough. It doesn't hurt anything if the water is up on the jars quite a ways. Also, for something like fish, or something that takes a long processing time, even the 2-3 inches will not be enough.

Then, it normally will have enough water unless there is a leak someplace in the gasket.

It wouldn't have anything to do with siphoning of the jars to cause that to happen. If siphoning takes place, the liquid will be low inside the jars, but won't have an affect on the canner.

Sorry this happened. Perhaps we can chat and find out what happened.

I always add more water than the line in the canner is at. I've always worried about that, so your reassurance is nice! I don't think the siphining caused the dry-out, I was wondering if the little bit of liquid was from the canner drying out & THEN siphoning from the jars. Is the food ruined?

I'm in the shoutbox if that's what you meant by chatting.

AO5FG, did you figure out what happened to this batch? Is your stew okay? I am sorry your canner got kooky on you...my pressure cooker did something wierd the other day when I was trying to cook rice, and I can empathize with how frustrating it is. I hope your stew is okay! :)

OK, so the bottom warped. I was so upset, couldn't fall asleep last night. Cried, etc.... I know, crazy right?

So I took it out to the shoppe, got a piece of 3/4" thick plywood, strategically placed the canner upside down over 2 brds (so as not to break the handles), cushioned with old shirts, laid the piece of wood across the top of the bottom of the canner & pounded away. I pounded out of frustration too, LOL. I mean, seriously, what did I have to lose? A canner?!?!?

IT WORKED!!!!! IT WORKED!!!!! IT WORKED!!!!!

My canner no longer wobbles. *chuffed to the max* Praise the Lord!

Oh, I do hope it works fine now. It was not silly to cry. You spent a lot of money on the canner. Then, you were afraid of losing the stew. Plus, you need to have a canner to preserve your food in.

Please, still do a trial with just some water to see how it goes for you. Relax, it will be fine. Let me know how it goes.

Hugs,

Violet

Oh, I do hope it works fine now. It was not silly to cry. You spent a lot of money on the canner. Then, you were afraid of losing the stew. Plus, you need to have a canner to preserve your food in.

Please, still do a trial with just some water to see how it goes for you. Relax, it will be fine. Let me know how it goes.

Hugs,

Violet

Yes ma'am, I have kept that in mind (testing it). I had to run errands today & was so pooped, I didn't even get them all done, plus I don't get my daycare girl til 3 tomorrow afternoon, so it's still sitting on my counter! Usually I put it up in the cabinet under the micro, but I don't feel like lugging it out again to test, LOL.

And thank you for understanding. It wasn't the money, so much as the heart I had in that thing. She's my Bertha! :D

And I'll definitely report back! I MAY do it after dinner, we'll see.

Archived