MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

**HONEY**

Hi y'all,

I've been doing a bit of studying on Honey lately. I'm trying to get set up to start grinding my own grain and making "real" bread. Honey is a vital part of this.

I found a lot of info on Honey at Breadbeckers that I wasn't aware of previously. According to their Honey article (see link below), certain honey is better for Diabetics than other honey.

Honestly, I thought honey was honey. I knew that if you had allergies you should try to get local honey?? But I never knew that they could effect blood sugar levels differently.

Wondering if any of you had heard of this or had any personal experience with it. Thanks!!

http://www.breadbeckers.com/honey.htm

What a great source of information - will be printing some of those articles. I had no idea there was that much difference in types of honey. I only know I don't really like the taste of buckwheat honey.

It's wonderful to be learning "new" things all the time. I often wonder if I could just find a list somewhere of what I DON'T know so I'd know what to look for (ie I'd never heard of sprouting grain til last year) ~ the unknown unknowns are killing me ;)

I haven't had any personal experience but I've seen "sugar-free" honey that supposedly comes from Stevia blossoms.

I used to get avocado honey from the farmer's market in CA. It's almost black and tastes like molasses. The most delicious honey I've ever eaten was blueberry honey from Oregon ::sigh:::

We had bees once, when we built our house my inlaws moved into the one we were in while they built their house. Our bees stayed near there in a hay field. Mother in law(who had a hard time adjusting to way out living and the critters that go with that) spazed out at some big bugs and dusted her whole yard with 7 dust..Not sure what it did to the big bugs, but it did kill our bees. All our bee stuff went in the barn attic where it sits waiting for me to get it going again. I may look into that next week. I'd like to get back in the honey business(personal and family users).

I have read something about the regular honey from the grocery store being no better than high fructose corn syrup. Apparantly they feed the HFCS to the bees to increase their output, and the honey isn't good for you.

I can't remember where I read it.

I buy raw, organic, unfiltered honey. It's very thick and it isn't as sickly sweet.

You can use the real honey on wounds to kill bacteria and prevent infection. In fact, there is a type of honey that is very powerful in killing germs. The FDA recently gave approval for it to be used in surgical bandages.

I have done some research on honey (DH is a big fan). I read in a few places that you should try to eat local honey since it is more likely to "agree" with your biological makeup.

I love buckwheat honey but DH hates it. He likes a light clover variety.

We only buy local..I want to be sure it isn't from China. I noticed that some stores sell honey that can have as many as 8 countries of origin.

Here's a really good article that I found about the Tupelo Honey, which is one of the ones that Breadbeckers suggested for diabetics. Here's a snippet and then a link to the whole article, very interesting.

Because of its unusually high fructose content (versus sucrose), tupelo honey will not granulate. A granulated tupelo honey indicates an impure tupelo honey. Also because of its low sucrose content, some diabetics may eat it.

http://www.slowfoodusa.org/index.php/progr...l/tupelo_honey/

Here's a really good article that I found about the Tupelo Honey, which is one of the ones that Breadbeckers suggested for diabetics. Here's a snippet and then a link to the whole article, very interesting.

I love tupelo honey! The flavor, IMHO, is so much superior and more delicate than other honeys that I have a hard time putting any other type in my hot tea. I highly recommend tupelo honey over any other type.

I'm lucky to live in an area where it is produced so it's a local honey for me. It's not easy to find though, you have to pick it up at farmstands and such or else know someone who produces it. I've never seen it in a supermarket.

Archived