MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating Cherries and Strawberries

Shoshana

I just bought 8 pounds of organic strawberries and 12 pounds of organic cherries!

I do have a dehydrator but I have only ever done bananas and green peppers and that was over 3 years ago so I have to sort of start from scratch.

Any tips or advice for me?

Also what would be the best way to store these? I have a large amount of pint canning jars I could put them in. I do have a Food Saver that I have never used before and am thinking about doing the jar feature. I could seal them in the bags but I would rather keep them in glass instead of plastic if possible.

If properly dehydrated, how long would they store do you think?

Thank you very much!

Once dehdrated and vaccuumed into the jars it can extend their storage for at least 6 more months. Sometimes a year. It may depend on your climate and humidity ( which raises the heat index). I know alot of folks get alot more mileage that way with dried fruits than they would with out vaccuum packing them. So between 12 mos and a year and a half, they may last, vaccuumed into the jars.

To dry the cherries you should pit them first. The pitter I want to get is about $35. You can pour the cherries into a container and inside of 1/2 an hour you've pitted a caseful. Otherwise, you're stuck doing this individually....one...at...a...time.

Here is a website:

http://www.cookware.com/filters/nobot/Frui...CFQwxawodvT0QcQ

For the strawberries, just clean, slice, and dry.

For storage, I use old vintage wire-clasp jars with a good rubber ring. Keeps the air out AND looks pretty. :)

I also recommend that you put these skin side down so that they don't stick to your trays. I have done strawberries and they were very good. I haven't done cherries, but they are in the plan. Good Luck!

My cherries didn't do well. I was told they might have done better had I frozen them first. Freezing ruptures some of the cell walls, and allows much faster dehydration. But I have not tried that myself.

Archived