MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I made applesauce!

I made applesauce today, my first time :bounce:

I had two bags of apples in the fridge that weren't getting any younger and weren't getting eaten either. I had one bag of galas and one of granny smiths.

I used the instructions from the Foley manual that was posted here recently. It was so easy and man is that some good stuff.

I remember my Gram'ma making it. It seemed like a big production in my mind for some reason. I think maybe because she mashed the apples with a potato masher ...or something.

Yay for the Foley :cheer:

Grin, good feeling innit? And a good taste of homemade food as well.

WTG on your first batch.

Love homemade applesauce! I have a Squeezo, so the hardest part is setting it up and taking it down.

Did you do plain, or add cinnamon or sugar?

Love homemade applesauce! I have a Squeezo, so the hardest part is setting it up and taking it down.

Did you do plain, or add cinnamon or sugar?

Just some sugar added. Next time I won't make it quite as sweet though. If I should come upon a wind fall of apples I want to try some with cinnamon and some applebutter too.

I love applebutter, but only if I make it myself.

Nobody else makes it thick enough for me, I like it thick enough to slice! Thick slices of dark brown spicy applebutter... crud! now I want some. I think there's apple slices in the freezer.

excuse me...

Edit: I have a lovely batch of apples and spices plopping gently on the stove... They smell so good. Thanks for the reminder, I haven't had applebutter since the fall.

Leah, do you have a canning recipe for the apple butter? I love apple butter and being thick would be a bonus! Would be nice to give it away at christmas too, and I am having a big christmas this year and need to think of things to give as gifts to give away to folks I am just meeting for the first time and have no idea of what they like, so that would be a great gift with a homemade touch if it can be canned?

Here's a simple one for the refrigerator that allows you to use up excess cans of applesauce:

Crockpot Apple Butter

4 cans applesauce -- drained

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

2 Tbsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground cloves

Add ingredients to crockpot. Stir to mix. Cover & cook on high 4 hours then turn to low for 4 hours, until the desired thickness is reached. Pour into sterilized jars and refrigerate.

Yield: about 4 pints

And here is one for optional canning that uses Apple Cider (not vinegar):

Crockpot Apple Butter

7 cups applesauce -- natural

2 cups apple cider

1 1/2 cups honey

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves -- optional

1/2 teaspoon allspice

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW for 14 to 15 hours or until mixture is a deep brown.

Spoon hot apple butter into hot sterilized Mason jars and seal, then process half-pints or pints 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Yield: About 8 half-pints

I've never canned mine as I'm the only one here who likes it. My grandmother used to can hers, but of course that was 50 years ago. I would imagine her recipe wouldn't be considered safe these days.

I just put apple pieces, a little water, and a squirt of lemon juice in a pan and cook until soft. Then start mashing with a potato masher.

Add a few handfuls of sugar, some ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice; a little molasses if I have a yen for it. Turn it down until it plops gently, stir every half hour.

Taste and adjust the sugar and spices. If it's a little flat, it may need a touch of salt.

It gets very dark and thick, rather like canned cranberry sauce.

Archived