MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning expertise needed, please

MommaDogs

They aren't different other than the pretty shape. They may or may not seal, then you lose your food. We don't recommend them for homecanning.

With the 2 piece lid and ring you know if they are sealed. You get a true vacuum seal with them if processed right. So, my advice is to still only use those ones with glass lids for dry storage.

It's a European style of the old ones, but not recognized or approved by the USDA and other Food Science agencies in the US....only the mason-style jar with the 2-piece lids. Of course there are also people that don't follow the recommended guidelines and love the fancy design jars.

It should be noted that the rubber seals, like the flat metal lids, are usable only once.

Hey MommaDogs,

Those are Weck brand jars, used in Europe. You can buy them NEW, in a box from Weck. They are like the clasp jars in your basement, for they operate using the 'rubber ring' theory that you heat the jar & lid, boil the ring, place ring on the jar and use metal clamps to hold the lid on in a boiling water bath. They rely on the 'lip' of the rubber seal pointing 'up' to prove that the seal is good. This supposedly makes them 'safer' than America's old clasp jars. There was NO WAY you could tell if the seal was good or bad, aside from pulling the rubber tongue and listening for a 'shhhh' sound. Same with these Weck jars.

My problem with this system (even though Europeans like them) - how are you 100% SURE you've got a seal? The ring can fit loosely, too snug, or the lid may sit weird causing the seal to be faulty.

Although a part of me really REALLY wants to buy a dozen to 'play' with, I don't want to waste the food.

Europe also doesn't put as much research and safety behind their home canning methods as we do. It would be very safe to say (go ahead and jump on me European readers!) that Europe is where America was in the 20's and 30's. Many don't use the flat lid and ring system that we do here. There is no 'Ball Blue Book' or University of Georgia Food Safety school. They just do what generations past have done for food preservation.

Really great question. I hope this helps.

:bighug2:

Archived