MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Green Peppers

Jori

So my m-i-l just sent green peppers home with DH. I weighed them and they are just over 3 lbs. So the first question, is it worth canning that little? And how are they once processed? Stuffed pepperish??? (New description - we'll find it in Webster's soon - LOL!!! :24::24: )

Am I better to just go get the stuff to make salsa?

I've never liked home canned green peppers. Unless you pickle them, they are low acid and must be pressure canned. You can check the Ball Blue Book for processing times and recipies.

I've always found them to be too mushy when pressure canned. I will freeze them or dehydrate them. I find I like them better this way.

Who knows, try a few pints and see. Your family might be wild about them. That's the nice thing about canning - you never know what you're going to like until you try it. :)

Thanks! You both rock! I hadn't even thought about freezing them. I have the first 3 chopped and on a cookie sheet to flash freeze. I'm so excited that we'll have them because I have a great recipe for stuffed pepper soup.

I'm glad I looked at them now because one was going bad and she must have had them in a cooler because there is ice water in it.

Thanks! You both rock! I hadn't even thought about freezing them. I have the first 3 chopped and on a cookie sheet to flash freeze. I'm so excited that we'll have them because I have a great recipe for stuffed pepper soup.

I'm glad I looked at them now because one was going bad and she must have had them in a cooler because there is ice water in it.

Did you say stuffed pepper soup? Can I have the recipe please? Please,please,please with sprinkles on top. That sounds so yummy for the fall and winter.

Thanks,

catskinner

Here you go Catskinner. Enjoy!

Stuffed Pepper Soup

2 lbs ground

2 qts water

1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 can (28 oz) tomato sauce

2 c cooked long grain white rice

2 c chopped green pepper

2 beef bouillon cubes

1/4 c packed brown sugar

2 t salt

1 t pepper

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown beef; drain. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 -40 minutes or until peppers are tender. Yields: 10 servings

The stuffed pepper soup sounds great but can anyone tell me how to print it off here?

A couple of other ways;

Highlight, edit, print, then go to selection in the print range box, and ok, it will print just the part highlighted, or what I do,

I highlight and copy, then paste to an email in outlook express. I like to paste lots of recipes, edit and then send them to myself. Save and print all or part.

I do this with all things I want to save as a matter of fact. It is easy and I can read or print what I want.

B)

Archived