MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Grape Juice

farm~maid

Hi there. This is my first post (I'll do a proper introduction later) and I'm going to bother you all with questions. Sure hope you don't mind. ;)

Our grapes are doing well this year. I remember my Mom making grape juice by putting grapes into a quart jar, adding sugar and boiling water. Then, processing in a BWB. I tried this recipe a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed.

I used 1 cup grapes and 1/2 cup sugar.

So, I'm wondering how you make grape juice. Do you make a similar recipe and if so, what are the measurements of grapes and sugar. Maybe you use another recipe you can share.

I so appreciate any help with this.

farm~maid

It goes something like this:

Wash, crush and measure grapes. Add 1 cup water to each gallon crushed grapes. Heat grapes and water 10 minutes at 190 degrees. Do not boil. Strain juice through a damp jelly bag or several layers of cheesecloth. For a greater yield, twist end of the bag until all juice is extracted. Let juice stand 24 hours in refrigerator.

Ladle juice from pan, being careful not to disturb sediment. Strain juice again. Measure juice; add 1 to 2 cups sugar to each gallon juice. Reheat to 190 degrees.

Carefully ladle hot juice into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met -- fingertip tight.

Process pints and quarts 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. At elevations higher than 1,000 feet, boil 2 additional minutes for each additional 1,000 feet elevation.

hitheresmiley.gif Hi farm~maid!! groupsmile.gif

Here's an excellent thread on grape juice that we have here. It's pretty complete. http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16226

I don't do all the work Canned Nerd does. I just put the grapes and sugar right in, as you did. The key to having GOOD grape juice is letting it sit to age. If you try to use it within 3 months, you will probably be disappointed.

And I like to make mine extra strong, as I described in the thread. I'd rather water down a strong juice for using, instead of just canning "extra water".

Ask us *ANYTHING*... there are no dumb quesions!! yesssmileyf.gif If you prefer, you can always send someone a "PM" (private message) by clicking on their name and finding that "button".

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the help.

Canned Nerd, I found a similar recipe in the Ball Blue Book. More work than I would like, especially if the other is good, too. I appreciate your help.

Cat, thanks for the link. I didn't find that when I did a search here. That's just the info I was hoping to find.

Violet, I've never heard of a juice steamer before. I saw your link and will check it out. Maybe something to use in the future. Darn, I forgot about the tartaric acid crystals. I let the juice set in the frig overnight and then yesterday I shook it up before measuring for jam. I'm hoping it's not a problem. It hasn't been with these grapes in the past.

So, grape juice making is planned for today. Thanks for all the helpful tips.

There's more grapes ready to be picked and I've been thinking of giving drying in the dehydrator a whirl.

prairiegirl

Canned Nerd, I found a similar recipe in the Ball Blue Book. More work than I would like, especially if the other is good, too. I appreciate your help.

Hee! Hee! I said that was how it was supposed to be done, but I agree it is way too much work. My process is actually going to the grocery store and buying a quality bottle of Concord Grape Juice.

My process is actually going to the grocery store and buying a quality bottle of Concord Grape Juice.

:busted: The truth ALWAYS comes out, doesn't it????? :sEm_blush:

:24:

Thanks for all the helpful advice for making grape juice.

I made 16 quarts. It looks so nice on the shelf - such a pretty color. I did find that some of the sugar had settled on the bottom of the jars after processing. It looks hard.

I'm anxious to give the juice a try in a few weeks.

farm~maid

Archived