MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Freezing Corn on the Cob!

Nytehunter

Well I was reading an old issue of Mother Earth News Nov/Dec 1989 The one with Ed Abby Hayduke lives on the cover and while I never did agree with the man its M.E.N. and the info is good so I'm thumbing through the issue and come across a throw away article not even two paragraphs long about freezing corn on the cob its in the back not in the garden section anyway long story short researchers discovered that if you drill a hole through the center of the cob BEFORE blanching when you blanch it will blanch from inside and out this will stop the enzymes that cause the flavor to go bad so the cobs will last longer in the freezer before tasting bad.

Interesting. I always thought it was the corn kernels that were being blanched and they are pretty well exposed to the water for their brief stay.

I have visions of my very long semi-rusty masonry drill bit drilling a hole down the center of a cob while being held tightly in the vise. Sure would make it difficult to use my corn cob holders after that. :D

Interesting. I always thought it was the corn kernels that were being blanched and they are pretty well exposed to the water for their brief stay.

I have visions of my very long semi-rusty masonry drill bit drilling a hole down the center of a cob while being held tightly in the vise. Sure would make it difficult to use my corn cob holders after that. :D

That is just what I was thinking?

so ................

which is better? bad tasting corn or eating the stuff from the drill bit?

:AmishMichaelstraw:

I think I posted about this method a while back. It's been around since the 70's, at least.

The cob has to be blanched or it will send enzymes you don't want out into the kernels.

Archived