MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gauge Question

The MacKinnon

Since I have a 3 day weekend next weekend, I've decided Sunday will be my 'debut' into the world of canning. The one thing that I'm concerned about is the weighted gauge. Should I have it checked or is there a way for me to check it? I downloaded the manual for it (got it on eBay and it didn't come with its instruction book), so I'm reading through it and I do have the latest Ball book. Today I'm going to ask our culinary arts teacher if she cans and I know one of our librarians cans. I'd talked to the county extension agent in the county where I teach and she didn't seem very interested, so I'm reluctant to call again (but I will).

I have an All American 915. Stephanie suggested I start out with chicken. So til Sunday, I'm reading!

:canning:

Is it a new canner or an older, used one?

If it is new, I'd trust it. If not, your county extension agent should check it for you... lazy and uninterested or not. That's her *JOB*, and your taxes pay her salary.

WHOA... you said *weighted*??? :o

No problem... they don't need to be "checked" uless there's metal missing for some extreme reason, and then you just replace it anyway.

It's the dial gauges that need checking. ;)

Did you adapt your All American 915 to non-dial-gauge use, when you talk about the weighted gauge?

910.jpg

There is a Pressure Regulator on it, besides the dial gauge, which is not the same as the "rocker" gauge used by other canners. The Pressure Regulator makes sure the pressure does not go over 15# for safety purposes.

The dial gauge MUST be tested before it is first used and before the beginning of each new canning season to make sure it is accurate.

It depends upon how old this canner is. If older, it may only have a counterweight and the dial would be used. In that case you would need the gauge tested.

On the newer ones, they come with BOTH, as in the picture. If so, you only have to use the dial as an indicator, but rely on the weight. Canned Nerd, that picture does have both, it is a weight on there with 5, 10, and 15 lb. choice.

You can convert any old model to the new style by ordering a new vent pipe and the weight. I know this since I did it for a friend.

So, not having it tested is fine if you have the weights, not just the counterweight.

No gasket, so nothing else to check for them. Just run a pipe cleaner through the vent pipe to see it is clear.

This is weird. I'm on the computer at work and the 'edit' button isn't showing up and I notice the pictures that I included on the last post aren't there either?

I called the extension agent in my county (I'd asked the agent in the county I work in earlier) and she said bring it in and they'd check it for me and install the weight and vent pipes if that's what I wanted. So hopefully I should be ready to roll this weekend. I'm reading the Ball Blue book like it was a Tom Clancy novel! :P

It shows up for me. Yes, that is the vent pipe and weight. You can use it as a weighted gauge canner and not have to worry what the dial says.

You can change it out yourself. Actually, I am surprised they will do it for you due to liablity of damages.

We would not do it for you for that reason.

You will have that canner forever ! That is one heavy duty canner.

Archived