MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ack! Mold on jars!!!

ChristyK

I was checking out the shelves of canned tomatoes and notice that several of the jars had mold around the edge of the jars! :yuk:

Now, the seals are good ~ there is no mold actually inside the jars, or actually on the lids themselves. It looks to be a case of 'crud left on jars and not washed properly before storing'. I pressure canned these, and I remember one batch had a vacuum form inthe canner (had to use a butter knife to 'break' the lid loose), so I'm guessing that some of the liquid was sucked out and left as a film on the jars and that is where the mold came from.

This has never happened to me before; I'd like to place the blame on my hubby helping me out that day :whistling: ... but ... it's my kitchen, I was the one canning and so it's ultimately my fault. :blush:

My question: barring anything else ~ if the seals 'pop' when I open them, if there is no visible sign of spoilage ~ are these tomatoes still going to be ok to eat? I've cleaned the mold off the jars & wiped them down with a weak bleach solution. Like I said,I've never had thsi happen before and while I think that the food would not be at risk from this carelessness, I'm looking for advice from others who may know, who have maybe had this happen to them before.

Thank you. :)

You are supposed to remove the rings from the jars about 24 hours after canning. Wash both the jars and rings in warm soapy water. Then this won't happen. Store the rings off of the jars so they can be used over and over again.

Be sure to wash them now like this, then I would use a mild bleach, as well.

Thank you all. :bouquet:

Yes we removed the rings the next morning, before storing the jars ~ & I thought I had wiped the jars off. Obviously not, of course ... but then maybe I did and they needed, instead, the more thorough washing with soap & water as Violet says. You can bet your last goose that that's what they'll get from now on!! <still kicking self for being careless>

Archived