MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Urban? Rural? What do you think it is?

bluegrassmom

I was going through some of my posts today looking for something when I realized that I had posts in both the urban *and* country homestead rooms. I had to laugh because that just proves that I can't figure out what my place is - urban or country. My first gut reaction is to call it country...but I'm in town. *But* town is only 4.4 square miles and it is plunked down right in the middle of nowhere and is surrounded by Amish and Mennonite communities. But I don't know if I should consider it country because I *am* in town. It's full of down home people with a very basic life. We have no zoning restrictions save for hogs so there are all sorts of animals. But at the same time I can't rightfully call it urban because this town is so well... country that calling it urban would be laughable. And suburban doesn't fit it either. It's sort of town way back in the backwoods. In fact the name of the town is the word for "forest" in the native toungue of those who settled it many moons ago.

So I don't know what the heck to call my little homestead. :rolleyes:

I think its a small rural country town so its 'country' to me.

The town I live in is in the metro area of a large city but the PO considers us rural. There are people here with goats, pigs, cows, donkeys, ducks, horses. The only thing I don't really see is chickens ::head scritchy:: (although Mr Prickle did hit a rooster on the freeway the day after Ike).

But I myself live in a development with an HOA and covenants (never again). I usually call it semi-rural.

I agree with C4C - it's home. But I think you are rural. We are urban currently (35ish miles from Chicago) like Prickle NEVER AGAIN!!! But I grew up rural - flashing light at the 2 state roads and the outlying area had more people than the town did. Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a small town plopped in the middle of miles of farmland. The housing stock is old, average at least 100 years. My own house was built in 1860. We have a small suburbanish brady bunch section just outside of " town" who live like " suburbanites"... but we are all one step away from being farm hands here LOL, and thats a good thing considering the times. Its so small that my daughters' BF can walk to our house from his home on the farm.

I LIKE that. I'd live on a farm if we could aquire one that was livable with our budget, in a heartbeat.. but alas, strict new septic tank rules in our state are causing a lot of old farmhouses to be abandoned.. no one can afford the money to bring them up to code these days, cheaper to rehab a town home with a sewer hookup.

BTW.. hi! This is my first post :)

Welcome, Kathleen!

I'm "out in the county" but have neighbors so I call it a sub-urban area. Not rural. Not urban. Not the 'burbs.

Ticks me off royally every time the county commission passes a new ordinance to make us all look/act/live like urbanites or members of a county-wide HOA. I bought a house this far from my job so that nobody could force me to keep my grass cut--except now, they can. :(

Archived