MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

walmart chicken thighs are the BEST value!!!!

Robert Z

40 lbs of chicken thighs, 2 bags of carrots, 2 bags of celery, 1 10lb bag of onions, 5 cloves of garlic, bay leaves, salt, pepper corns, fresh rosemary, fresh time, and 2 days of work =

13 quarts of chicken soup

13 pints of chicken meat

10 quarts chicken broth

8 pints of chicken broth

not bad for about $30 worth of materials!

DSC_1754cropped.jpg

Now the details....

even in my 31 qt all american pressure canner, I can only fit 20lbs of thighs at a time. I did 2 batches of 20 lbs each to prep but I took 1 package of carots, 1 package of celery, 5 lbs of onions, 1 packet of fresh rosemary, 1 packet of fresh tyme, pepper corns. I put all of the herbs and seasonings in a cotton bag and tossed in. the celery and carrots get tosse3d in whole. Onions get halved. Garlic I cut entire cloves in havle and tossed in. Add water until all is covered.

I pressure cook at 15lbs for 5 mins after pressure is reached then cool. dump whole messthrough pasta maker pot into 5 galloln food safe bucket, repeat process for other 20lbs chicken.

remove chicken from bones. Chop second bag of carrots and celery, cut other 5 lbs of onions, break up 3 cloves of garlic then cut toes into large chunks. add handfuls of chicken to 14 quart jars, then add equal ammounts of everything else, then fill with broth, and process.

fill jars with leftover meat, fill with water (there is enough residual fat to turn said water into broth during processing). process...

fill as many jars as you can with remainder of broth, process.... ENJOY!!!!

(

You paid $30 for the supplies but the knowledge that you have on how to preserve it and provide for your family is "PRICELESS". I am always amazed on what a person can do on a small budget if they only have some knowledge on how to do it. I can feed my family very well for a week on what some people will spend on one night of dining out. Keep up the good work!

Wow, the is the most comforting sight any woman could want to see.

Yes, now if I could only get her to help. All she does is complain about the mess I make doing it... *Sigh*

Is she related to my wife by chance, that is the same response that I always get. :24:

Used your recipe deboned the thighs and saved the meat... and got 8 quarts of broth, plenty of thigh meat reserved for the grill this weekend, and used a lot of soup meat to make chicken nuggets for the kids for dinner. - out of one 10 lb bag o parts and one onion - so all this for about 6.50. w00t!

Used your recipe deboned the thighs and saved the meat... and got 8 quarts of broth, plenty of thigh meat reserved for the grill this weekend, and used a lot of soup meat to make chicken nuggets for the kids for dinner. - out of one 10 lb bag o parts and one onion - so all this for about 6.50. w00t!

EXCELLENT!!! I am glad my post inspired someone!

I will also add that I fed the skin and the pressure cooked veggies to my chickens and tossed the bones back in my pressure caner and cooked them down until they where very soft (about 30 more mins), mashed them up, and fed them to my dogs. EVERYTHING got used in this process.

VERY gratifying!

Archived