MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Frugal Thanksgiving recipes?

I'm looking for some frugal side item recipes for thanksgiving! My husband and I are hosting it this year (first time!) and luckily our families are bringing lots of stuff. My husbands in charge of the ham and mashed potatoes (his choice) so I'm wanting some ideas for what I'll make. Turkey's taken care of by another family member. Anyone have a really cool recipe for rolls, something different? I'll take any suggestions! Thanks, Carmen

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, Carmen, I just found this. :(

Did you find anything you like yet?

Here's one mix from "Mare's collection of money-saving mixes (repost)"

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21482

HOMEMADE HOT ROLL MIX

5 pounds unbleached flour -- or all-purpose

1 1/4 cups sugar

4 teaspoons salt

1 cup nonfat dry milk -- instant

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together to distribute evenly. Put in a large airtight container. Label with date and contents. Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 6-8 months.

Makes about 22 cups Homemade Hot Roll Mix.

Whole Wheat Hot Roll Mix Variation:

Use 9 cups of whole-wheat flour and 8 cups of unbleached flour; decrease sugar to 1 cup. Substitute packed brown sugar for graunulated, if desired. Use within a week if stored in a cool dry place, as whole grain flours can turn rancid quickly. Will keep for 10-12 weeks under refrigeration or up to 6 months in the freezer. Makes about 18 cups Whole Wheat Hot Roll Mix.

~*~*~*~*~*~

(from a Kitchen post)

Hot Roll Mix recipe

This basic mix can be used in all sorts of rolls and breads.

20 cups (5 pounds) unbleached flour or all-purpose flour

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar

4 teaspoons salt

1 cup instant nonfat dry milk

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together to distribute evenly. Put in a large airtight container.

Label with date and contents. Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 6 to 8 months.

Yields about 22 cups Homemade Hot Roll Mix.

Pan Rolls

1 tablespoon active dry yeast

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted margarine

5 to 6 cups Hot Roll Mix

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Blend in eggs and oil or margarine. Add 5 cups Hot Roll Mix. Blend well. Add additional Hot Roll Mix to make a soft, but not too sticky dough. Knead about 5 minutes until dough is smooth.

Lightly butter bowl. Put dough in bowl and turn to butter top. Cover dough with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan or two 9-inch, round pans. Punch down dough. Divide dough into 24 to 30 balls of equal size. Place balls in prepared pans. Cover and let rise again until doubled in bulk, about 30 to 40 minutes.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.

Yields 24 to 30 rolls.

http://www.giftsfromyourkitchen.com/mix/hot-roll-mix.html

SQUASH CORNBREAD CASSEROLE

1 sm. box Jiffy cornbread mix

1 c. sour cream

3 c. grated yellow squash

1 med. onion

2 cups shredded colby cheese

1 can kernal corn, drained

Salt and pepper to taste

1/8 c. butter

Combine first 7 ingredients and pour into greased 9x9 inch pan. Cover with thin slices of butter. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

When my little Princess was 9 (now she is 20) she mixed up 2 boxes of jiffy brand corn bread mix and using parchment paper baked them all (eventually--it took several hours) in her EZ bake oven. She proudly brought them to the family reunion/thanksgiving dinner in the basement of a church in a clean, unused pizza box. Of course we SWORE it was the best corn bread we ever ate.

(GirlNextDoor @ Nov 25 2009, 09:54 PM)

When my little Princess was 9 (now she is 20) she mixed up 2 boxes of jiffy brand corn bread mix and using parchment paper baked them all (eventually--it took several hours) in her EZ bake oven. She proudly brought them to the family reunion/thanksgiving dinner in the basement of a church in a clean, unused pizza box. Of course we SWORE it was the best corn bread we ever ate!

:wub:

You know, with all the love that got baked into that very long baking session, I'm sure they were!!! ;)

Pan Rolls

1 tablespoon active dry yeast

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted margarine

5 to 6 cups Hot Roll Mix

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Blend in eggs and oil or margarine. Add 5 cups Hot Roll Mix. Blend well. Add additional Hot Roll Mix to make a soft, but not too sticky dough. Knead about 5 minutes until dough is smooth.

Lightly butter bowl. Put dough in bowl and turn to butter top. Cover dough with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan or two 9-inch, round pans. Punch down dough. Divide dough into 24 to 30 balls of equal size. Place balls in prepared pans. Cover and let rise again until doubled in bulk, about 30 to 40 minutes.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.

Yields 24 to 30 rolls.

http://www.giftsfromyourkitchen.com/mix/hot-roll-mix.html

I bet this recipe would work real well in a bread machine on the dough cycle for the mixing and first rising!

• 11 months later...

Archived