MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canned Beef - Too Dry

YYY

Hi Everybody,

I’ve written before asking this question. When I can beef chunks, the insides are always dry. I’ve tried raw pack and slightly browned meat. I’ve also pierced each piece with a fork or pounded it to make it more tender. It’s been suggested that I only use chuck, but chuck just seems too fatty. Does anyone else have any additional suggestions?

Thanks,

YYY

YYY, can you tell us specifically what you do in your 'preparation process' before you put the meat in the jars, add a lid and process in a pressure canner? This might help us guide you in the trouble shootig process.

Hi Virginia and Crazy 4 Canning,

Thanks to both of you for replying.

Virginia, the meat is more dry than tough - even though its been canned in liquid. I agree that it could be the cut of meat, but this seems to happen most of the time and with different cuts.

Crazy 4 Canning, when I brown the meat, I immediately put the meat into hot jars, sometimes I add veggies (mostly carrots and/or potatoes), add salt, add boiling water, wipe the rims, put on the 2 piece lids and pressure can for 75 minutes (pints) in my pressure canner. I follow this method most of the time.

I've read that you can just skip the browning step. So the 2 times that didn't brown the beef, I just put the raw beef into hot jars, (no veggies), added salt, added boiling water, wiped the rims, put on the 2 piece lids and pressure canned for 75 minutes (pints) in my pressure canner.

I haven't noticed a difference with either method as far as dryness goes. I like the looks and taste of the browned meat best.

I would love to learn a better way to can beef.

Thanks,

YYY

Well, you're doing everything correct. I've found that the chuck cuts come out more moist than other cuts - probably due to the fat. There is still a little bit of fat in the meat, but not much.

I know Violet uses beef broth in canning her beef and chicken broth with her chicken. She likes the flavor better. I just use water. I've never had a problem with dry meat - it always seems moist enough.

I know that "dry" taste that you are talking about. It is wierd how something submerged in liquid when canned could taste dry. I think it has to do with not enough fat in the meat, I usually can very lean meat, mostly because I don't like the look of the fat when it floats to the top and solidifies. But I think the fat is what keeps the meat moist and juicy. I think that when the liquid in the jar turns like jelly when in the cool cellar that my broth has enough "fat" disolved in it to keep the meat moist. It seems when the broth is clear and liquid that I find the meat to taste dryer.

Archived