MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ohio Stoneware Crocks

zophiel

So, while ordering a new weight for my "fresh off craigst list" pressire canner, I ran across some stone pickle and 'kraut crocks:

http://www.allamericancanner.com/Opco2L.htm

I've been wanting to get one or two of these for pickle and kraut making myself, but everywhere else the prices have been high enough for me to place them lower on the list. However, these prices are much lower. So, does anybody have any experiences with these? Are they a good buy, or are they priced so low for a (not as good as hoped) reason?

Any advice/ reviews would be appreciated! Thanks!

(Note: Edited for abysmal spelling. . .)

Zophiel, I have no experience with those, but sometimes you can get one in the 4-6 quart range for a couple of bucks by buying a used Crock Pot and throwing away the electric part. That's where I get mine.

I have a 3 gal crock I bought cheap a few years ago through a mail order place. I'm not sure if it's made by the same outfit advertising yous since it only says Made in the U.S.A, but if it's the same company, I strongly advise against buying it. The company logo stamp is a blue crown wiith the size super inposed over it, if that helps. Mine proved to have very poor glazing and it weeped. It actually developed mold on the outside as well as on my pickles! (That was a really nasty mess!) Now I use it for a kindling holder--works great for that! :D

Archived