MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Making Sprouts "Disappear"

I plan on sprouting wheat berries during a crisis situation since I have so much trouble with gardening and since sprouts are so nutritious. However, I am the only one in my family who will eat them! My four kids and husband won't even come near a sprout. Does anyone have any recipies that would include adding sprouts in a virtually unnoticeable way so that I can get some nutrition into my family when we do not have access to fresh produce someday?

Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with sprouts so I can't really help there...BUT I will share a tidbit that worked wonders for getting extra veggies into the fussiest eaters at the daycare where I worked:

We puried fresh veggies and stirred them into sauces... Carrots blend into Mac and Cheese nicely. They're invisable in Spaghetti sauce. The same works for onions and celery. Heck, we'd even sneak veggies into muffins and pancake batter. :D

Wheat and other sprouts are great chopped or ground and used in bread or baked goods. Just remember the smaller the sprout the closer to grain they taste, the longer the sprout the more "green" they taste. You might try othertypes of sprouts and hide them in salads. Radish sprouts add a little zing to whatever they are put in. Sprouts can be put in soups and casseroles too. Another thing that can be done is the sprouts dehydrated and ground to use as a seasoning.

Go check out www.sproutpeople.com to find more ideas and sprouting instructions.

:bighug2:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you! That's just what I needed to get started practicing "hiding" the sprouts.

Blessings

Archived