MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pickling crisp

Jori

Jori,

It was called Pickle Crisp. So far Ball has not been selling it. I hear they are going to at a later date.

So, in the meantime you need to order Calcium Chloride from Bulk Foods. com.

Same thing, just the generic name.

Maybe someone else sells it, but that is the one I know of off the top of my head.

When I get mine, I order mine in HUGE 15# bags, or sometimes even 5# bags from a local brewery supply house. Check in your neighborhood and see what their price is on "Calcium Chloride".

Beware though, that you will need to put this into smaller zippie bags if you get a large quantity. CaCl is hydroscopic, meaning it attracts water to itself. When I was repackaging some at Violet's house about a year ago, the bowl and spoon I was using grew 'sticky' from residue just in the air. You have to work fast, but once it's in a bag, it's fine. You can't leave it open to the air. Open the bag, measure it, and close the bag. :)

I hope this helps you find what you're looking for.

BTW - you can use it for more than just pickles. Violet discovered that you can use it in veggies like potatoes, green beans, etc. to keep them firm. It really works! :)

Have fun!

• 1 month later...

If you found Pickle Crisp on the store shelves today its probably long past its expiration date since Ball® hasn't been making it for a long while as Violet mentioned. If I found it I would probably still try to use it. ;)

CoM,

NO - calcium chloride is NOT the same thing as canning salt. Canning Salt is salt that doesn't have any iodine, anti-caking agents, or other chemicals added to it like Morton's table salt does.

Calcium Chloride is a particular type of salt, in a pure form, used for brewing purposes and canning/ preserving purposes in making the end product crisp.

I do add less canning salt when I use calcium chloride, in say pickles or veggies, by maybe half.

About the packages of Ball pickle crisp - the expiration date really has nothing to do with the product. If the boxes are intact and the packages are tightly sealed, it should be fine. Calcium Chloride is anhydrous, meaning it attracts water. If you leave a teaspoon of it on the counter, it will start to sweat - so my only concern would be that the Ball packages are tightly sealed. If they feel lumpy or you can hear them when you shake them, it means that somehow water has gotten into the package. Don't buy it for you will have to throw it away.

Really, if you can buy a whole lot, try the brewing supply store. They might have to special order it for you, but it is worth the wait. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Wal-Mart in my area had mrs.wages Pickling Lime on the shelf. Ingredient listed as Calcium Hydroxide (Lime). A 16 ounce package is $2.64 plus tax.

This product came in a resealable, plastic pouch, and did not have an expiration date listed.

A product of Precision Foods, Inc. of St. Louis, MO.

PoGo,

Pickling Lime is NOT the same thing as pickling crisp. Pickling lime is a slippery thing - a hydroxide, literally like a type of lye used in pickling. You have to rinse it SO many times when you use it, not many folks use it anymore. I bought some just for the classes I teach so I can show people what NOT to use.

Calcium Chloride (a salt) is Pickle Crisp. They are two very different substances chemically. It's kind of like comparing apples and oranges - both fruits but VERY different.

I just wanted to make that very clear to all readers that these two things are not similar, they are VERY different.

Also, with the lime, it gives off a very weird tang - some referigerator recipes use it. It is rather an odd flavor.

Archived