MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Yikes! Hissing Rocking Canner

TurtleMama

Okay...trial run of my pressure canner, with only water inside!!! I got the weight to rock, but it's rocking and hissing. Is that normal? It sounds angry. :motz_6:

The good news is, the weight is bouncing around. I'm just not sure if it is supposed to be this...vocal! Also, my book says it's supposed to be a "slow, steady rocking motion" -- this isn't particularly slow, its kinda fast. How slow is slow supposed to be??

Wow, I'll tell you what...I sure am glad that I have Mrs. Survival to ask these questions on. Otherwise I think I'd never have the courage to put food in there! :D

Okay, I think I figured it out! :D

Violet, you're right...you did tell me so... hehehe I just didn't realize it would be quite that loud! CannedNerd, I did allow it to vent, but only for five minutes...there were no jars inside, and this was my "practice" run, and I had to go pick up my DS from school, so I could only afford five minutes to vent. Maybe that did have something to do with it.

I found that once I turned my stove down to about a 3, the hissing got much quieter and the weight slowed down to a slower, more steady rocking. I'm figuring that's where I'll want it when I'm canning.

I'm sure glad that I did the trial run, because I would have been really freaked out if I thought I was going to mess up 10 jars of beans or something! :D

Thanks so much for your responses...and yes, Violet, it IS exciting!!! :woohoo:

Turtlemama, Welcome to the P.C. world. It won't be long til that rocking, hissing sound will be sweet music. Followed by the ping ping song.

Congrats on your canner purchase.

Pigzzilla

You are doing great !! It is rather loud, but it is so much easier to do than trying to sit and watch a dial. It is self venting so you just let it rattle away.

That is why I suggest just water at first for the reason you said. Once you do it a couple more times you will feel more comfortable. You will be a pro in no time !

Did I tell you how proud I am of you ? ! Well, I am !!!

Aww, Violet!!! :wub: Thanks so much, hon...I'm only able to do this because of all the inspiration and assistance that I get from you and every other Mrs. S. member!! *HUGS*

Pigzilla, thanks so much...I'm very happy to be one step closer to self-sufficiency. :)

Okay...trial run of my pressure canner, with only water inside!!! I got the weight to rock, but it's rocking and hissing. Is that normal? It sounds angry. :motz_6:

The good news is, the weight is bouncing around. I'm just not sure if it is supposed to be this...vocal! Also, my book says it's supposed to be a "slow, steady rocking motion" -- this isn't particularly slow, its kinda fast. How slow is slow supposed to be??

Wow, I'll tell you what...I sure am glad that I have Mrs. Survival to ask these questions on. Otherwise I think I'd never have the courage to put food in there! :D

I remember when I was a wee one and Mom was canning beans, the sound of the pressure canner used to scare the heck out of me! I'd go hide in a corner under a table to hide from the infernally loud hissing. :P

Archived