MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Yummiest Pineapple Coffee Cake Ever

Wow, I just have to share this...I made a tremendously delicious Sour Cream Pineapple Coffee Cake this morning from a cookbook called "Heart of the Home." It uses fresh-ground soft wheat. If anyone is interested, please let me know...I'd be happy to let you have the recipe...it's healthy and DELICIOUS!

Here's the recipe...

Sour Cream Pineapple Coffee Cake (from "Healthy Recipes from the Heart of Our Homes, by Phyllis Stanley and Shirley Heinmets)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a bundt pan (or use baking spray with flour...that's what I do!)

In your mixer, with whisks, cream:

3/4 cup softened butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

Beat in:

2 eggs

3/4 cup sour cream

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Mix together, and add:

2 1/2 cups freshly ground wheat flour (I used soft white wheat -- it's better for cakes and pastries, but hard white or red will work too)

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Add:

1 cup crushed pineapple, drained (save the juice!)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup reserved pinapple juice

Mix until moistened. Sprinke 3/4 cup of crushed pecans or almonds in the bottom of the bundt pan. Pour batter over the nuts.

Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes. Test with a toothpick or sharp knife. It should come out clean.

Invert on a lovely dish. Drizzle the remaining pineapple juice over the cake.

I want the recipe....but I have no way of getting fresh ground wheat. What can I substitute?

I think you could substitute white flour for the wheat...you might need to reduce the baking soda a little bit, though, maybe to 2 teaspoons.

You could also use wheat flour that you purchase at the store...like King Arthur or something. Make sure when you open it that it doesn't have an off-smell. Wheat flour goes rancid rapidly once it's ground. Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out! :)

Archived