MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

possible incorrectly canned chicken-what to do?

NanaX2

I suspect I know the answer to this question but here it is: I canned a total of 24 pints of chicken and beef using my inherited canner. After reading so many posts regarding safe canning, I'm wondering if the meat is properly canned. The gasket leaked some during the pressure build up and during the actual timed canning time. I followed the directions carefully and did it all correctly, but I'm fearful there could be a problem since there was the leaking- does that indicate the pressure was not correct? My pressure guage rocked properly so that seemed OK. I would hate to toss all that meat and possibly the jars too, but of course will for the sake of safety if need be. Thanks for your help!

I've had mine do the same thing but as long as my pressure holds and the weight keeps jiggling I feel it's fine.

Now the last chicken I canned the pressure dropped for some reason and my weight quit jiggle for about 10 mins. It started again but I wasn't sure what to do so I turned the fire off, let it cool down and froze all 7 quarts in quart sized packages.

Maybe someone with a better answer will come in soon.

First question first - I'm not sure about a weighted gauge canner. You should be okay, I'm sure Violet can comment since a weighted gauge is all she uses.

Second question - you are fine in freezing the meat. When the weight stops jiggling, you have to bring it up to pressure and start timing ALL OVER AGAIN. I probably would have done the same thing as you - pulled them and put them in the freezer.

Hope this helps! :) Happy Canning!

Nana, this is your judgement call. However, if you are sure it rocked the whole time and was up to pressure they should be fine. Now you know you need a new gasket.

You can boil the food for a full 10 min. before you eat it to be sure. Not sure there will be much to eat since it already is so tender and just shreds.

Thanks so much for the replies! Just to be safe I'm going to boil it for 10 min before eating. I am positive that the weight rocked properly the entire time, I never left the stove area :rolleyes: . And, good news, I've purchased a new gasket so ready to go again!

Archived