MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Carrots

WormGuy

Kroger has baby carrots at $1.00 a pound. I got nine pounds and they are in the dehydrator now. I may get another nine pounds this weekend.

:wormie2:

John

Wormie, how do you prepare them for the dehydrator? Do you slice them really thin? Don't they try to roll away when you cut them up, being so small and all? I'm brand new to dehydrating, so I'd love to know how you did it!

It took me all of 2 minutes to get them ready. I pour one bag on each tray and turn it on, no slicing at all. I guess I'm lazy. :blush:

John

They'll dry if they're whole??? Seriously? Dude! Cool!

How long does it take? I thought you had to slice them super-thin... LOL

Blanching...that means you boil them for about a minute, right, Violet?

Yep, I do them whole, this is what 6 pounds like like when they are done. I t took about 10 hours. I will defer the blanching to Violet.

7-20-09038-1.jpg

John

Those baby carrots are also real good pickled, this is a little different than my recipe, I use pickling spice placed in a cheese cloth sack that is simmered in the brine then removed. That adds the flavor without spices stuck to you carrots when you serve them. Be sure not to overcook the carrots when simmering them in the brine, they will cook more when processing and you don't want your pickles mushy.

Pickled Carrots

• 2¾ pounds peeled carrots (about 3½ pounds as purchased)
  • 5½ cups white distilled vinegar (5%)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons canning salt
  • 8 teaspoons mustard seed
  • 4 teaspoons celery seed
Yield: About 4 pint jars

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure:

1. Wash and rinse pint canning jars; keep hot until ready to use. Prepare lids and bands according to manufacturer's directions.
  2. Wash and peel carrots well. Wash again after peeling and cut into rounds that are approximately ½-inch thick.
  3. Combine vinegar, water, sugar and canning salt in an 8-quart Dutch oven or stockpot. Bring to a boil and boil gently 3 minutes. Add carrots and bring back to a boil. Then reduce heat to a simmer and heat until the carrots are half-cooked (about 10 minutes).
  4. Meanwhile, place 2 teaspoons mustard seed and 1 teaspoon celery seed in the bottom of each clean, hot pint jar.
  5. Fill hot jars with the hot carrots, leaving 1-inch headspace. Cover with hot pickling liquid, leaving ½-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened, clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids.
  6. Process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes (over 1000' for 20 min). Let cool, undisturbed, 12 to 24 hours and check for seals.
Allow carrots to sit in processed jars for 3 to 5 days before consuming for best flavor development.

Developed at The University of Georgia, Athens, for the National Center for Home Food Preservation. Released by Elizabeth L. Andress, Ph.D., Department of Foods and Nutrition, College of Family and Consumer Sciences. October 2005.

Carrots should be blanched 4 min. then into ice water for 4 min.

They should be cut in strips about 1/4 inch thick, so I would at least half the baby carrots.

Blanching stops enzyme action that causes spoilage and deterioration, as well as helps color retention.

It normally takes about 10 hours to dry carrots just as he said.

Archived