MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Going to learn to can (finally!!)

My mom, knowing that I really want to learn to can, sweetly offered to pay for me to take a canning class at our county's extension office. :wub: She is planning on taking the class with me next month. Here is the description:

Canning Basics for Safe Preserving

Learn all about the "how and why" of preserving food at home. This workshop focuses on canning safety, types of equipment and proper canning methods. For beginners or those needing a refresher.

It's a 2 hour class, and then I want to take a pressure canning class later in August. The crazy thing is, when my mom called to inquire about the classes, she was told that the classes have been filling up really fast, so if we want to make sure we get a place, she had to tentatively sign us up, even before she talked to me.

Anyway, I'm really excited and wanted to share the good news with someone!

That is the best way to learn. But, I could be a bit biased ! I am glad you are doing this since the funds for teaching any of this has dwindled down to a trickle.

I suggest getting a current Ball Blue Book, So Easy to Preserve from Univ. of Georgia, and the USDA Guidelines.

Let us know how it goes !

• 4 weeks later...

My mom and I took the Canning Basics class today at the county extension office. It was fantastic!! I had so much fun and learned a lot. It wasn't a hands-on class, but I'm definitely ready to give water bath canning a go. They had these amazing dill pickled green beans there to try, and I think I'd like to start with those. Yum!! Anyway, just wanted to share my joy and warn you all that many questions are sure to follow as I get started!! :)

My mom and I took the Canning Basics class today at the county extension office. It was fantastic!! I had so much fun and learned a lot. It wasn't a hands-on class, but I'm definitely ready to give water bath canning a go. They had these amazing dill pickled green beans there to try, and I think I'd like to start with those. Yum!! Anyway, just wanted to share my joy and warn you all that many questions are sure to follow as I get started!! :)

ask away........................

remember the question you ask may be one that someone else wanted to ask but didn't ;)

***and for some of us that have been doing it for years- might just be a reminder we need.

Archived