MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

C ~Green Beans

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

If you're considering canning something for the first time why don't you consider green beans? There is nothing easier to can (pressure can always) and the amounts add up quickly. So, if you're ready to garden and want to try canning let's talk green beans!

I've never tried bottling (canning) beans as I heard they can contain botulism. I read a book once where the main character poisoned her MIL with botulism beans!

I have however regularly preserved them in the form of wine.........!

Guest Guest

Hmmmm, poisoning MIL....JUST KIDDING!!! I used to be afraid of canning them too but have done it now for years. I follow the Blue Book instructions, pressure them and then boil for 5 mins. before serving. They are so good.

Guest Guest

I remember growing up, Mom always canned green beans by giving them a hot water bath on the stove. She never used a pressure cooker. The only time I did green beans, I put them in the freezer. I'm so happy for grocery stores!

i have always canned our beans as well as a lot of other veg's and furits and never had any trouble with them. Also was raised on home can and frozen and still no trouble. just follow the directions and keep things cleaned. and be sure lids are sealed.

I bottle as many tomatoes as I can - whole and in brine; they are sterilised in a hot water bath on top of the stove. I like botling fruit too - the taste is much better than frozen; I do rhubarb, gooseberries, peaches, strawberries, currants, apples. They are done in the same way as tomatoes. i grow quite a few beans and my favourite way is fresh out the garden. I don't freeze runner beans as the taste is not good; the French beans freeze really well though and I do a lot of them. Broad beans freeze well too. I open freeze beans so i can then take out just as much or as little as I need.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I love to can greenbeans. I have some in my garden that are starting to flower right now. I am trying "topcrop" this year. I am getting ready to plant some climbing greenbeans up next to my sunflowers. I have a peach tree that I planted in spring 200 that is loaded with peaches this year. Last year I canned peach salsa-yum yum. My strawberries are ripening but the roly-poly's and bluejays are enjoying them before I can. My black raspberries are setting a bumper crop as well. Finally figured out the right way to prune them. The roses are gorgeous this year as well. Come on tomato and cucumber plants!

Guest Guest

Welcome MamaDog! You sound like a fellow gardener, I'm excited! You're so far ahead of me I'm jealous. I have my green beans planted but I'm afraid it's been too cold and wet and I may have to replant.

The peas and radishes are up but that's it so far. I think the beets might be starting but can't tell for sure yet. We're really just getting ready to start here in Northern Iowa.

Would love to have a copy of your peach salsa if you'd like to share. I bought some pineapple salsa at the store during the winter and it was sooooooo good.

Congrats on your peaches producing this year. We finally got some grapes from the grape vines last year after planting them in 99. It was too cool!

Guest Guest

I did not write down the salsa recipe, but will post it when I "prefect" it. Basically I added 1 cup of chopped peaches per quart that had sugar and cinnamen added to a "basic" tomato salsa recipe. I roasted the tomatoes, peppers, onions and garlic. I also used cilantro and lime juice as well. Can;t wait for this year's batch!

Guest Guest

I missed spring, so I'm just getting started. I weeded my raised garden bed today, and CM is putting in 10 bags of new soil before I plant my tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers and beans. The goal date for my region is May 15, so I'm not too far off.

I had never canned with a pressure cooker before Y2K, but with the encouragement of the ladies here at that time, I bought a pressure cooker, and away I went. If your jars seal, they are free of botulism. The main thing I learned about it is to NEVER leave your pressure cooker while cooking. You have to keep the heat at a specified number of pounds, and if it starts creeping up, you simply turn the heat down until it is back to the pounds of pressure you want. The only dangerous thing about pressure cookers is letting them get too hot that they burst. I sit right there and watch it. I like to can meat the most, because it is so expensive to purchase canned, and choices are so limited.

Try it, I promise that it's easy.