MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Saturday Ramblings

Dee

Good morning everyone :wave:

Bet you didn't know that today is National Dictionary Day...I didn't either! :) Anyway, I found the following word at Word of the Day and decided to post it because it's kind of fun to say. Anyone ever heard or seen it before, I haven't.

williwaw noun

(WIL-ee-wah')

1. a violent gust of cold wind or squall blowing from a mountainous region towards the sea, especially near polar latitudes, such as the Straights of Magellan

2. any sudden gust of cold wind: "A brisk williwaw shot over us soon as we opened the door to exit the movie theater, and our advance tickets went soaring down the block."

I'm making lime pickles. I started yesterday and about noon today I'll need to rinse the lime from them and continue on. I figure I'll be finished about 8 tonight. I've done 7 lbs. and that's a bunch of pickles. I'm making them to sell at farmers market next year so I'll need to work on labels before then. Nice winter project. We have a creek running through our land named Prairie Creek so that's where we came up with our name for market, Prairie Creek Farms. What do you think?

Washer and dishwasher are finished so better get back to work. What's going on in your little part of the world today? Have a great day everyone! :grouphug:

My DSIL and I just went to a friend's house to watch her make bread, all the way from grinding the wheat to ready to bake. She gave us all her tips plus the one's a baker gave her when she was learning. Now we just have to train our DHs to eat whole wheat bread. Maybe if we give them lots of butter and honey they can adjust.

Now I need to order wheat berries and other stuff I have never kept, like dough enhancer.

Beautiful day here.

Hey Dee, I think I could use a small williwaw about now! We've been pressure washing the porch today - hope to paint next - and I'm overheated. Today is the first day of Mullet Festival for our area here. Big doings for us all. Last year we had people from as far away as Minnesota. Hope I get to go tomorrow and eat some mullet and watch some food demos. Lots of fried mullet, seafood gumbo, jambalya, BBQ - shrimp and oyster po-boys- too much to name! The king and queen will wear crowns and fish costumesLOL. Lots of music, food demos- craft workshops - pottery demos and MY FAVORITE----The mullet toss (to see who can toss a fish the fartherest). Hey Robbie, wish you were close enough to come to our southern festival!! It's so much fun. :happy0203:

Dee-- Is a williwaw like a straightline wind? Those can be scary, especially if you are driving.

Trudy--I used to love smoked mullet when I got it in FL. The joke nickname for our newspaper was the "mullet wrapper"

Virginia--I just bought wheat berries when we left Silver city and I found my wheat grinder so I have to practice also. Hopefully next week!

Miki - Fried mullet is my favorite, but I love smoked mullet also. I used to wade behind my uncle dragging the bag while he threw the cast net. I don't think I could do the job now, but I loved it then. My aunt would cook mullet often, and the neighbors would start 'dropping' byLOL. (of course DH and I were always there alreadyLOL!) They had a home-made cast iron smoker that my dad had given them. That thing sure made a lot of delicious smoked mullet and ribs, steaks, chicken, hamburger, hot dogs, kabobs-- all kinds of goodies. He finally had to retire it after his heart attack because of the weight. I couldn't even begin to guess how much a big cast iron grill like that would weigh!

Miki - Fried mullet is my favorite, but I love smoked mullet also. I used to wade behind my uncle dragging the bag while he threw the cast net. I don't think I could do the job now, but I loved it then. My aunt would cook mullet often, and the neighbors would start 'dropping' byLOL. (of course DH and I were always there alreadyLOL!) They had a home-made cast iron smoker that my dad had given them. That thing sure made a lot of delicious smoked mullet and ribs, steaks, chicken, hamburger, hot dogs, kabobs-- all kinds of goodies. He finally had to retire it after his heart attack because of the weight. I couldn't even begin to guess how much a big cast iron grill like that would weigh!

Cast iron? That would be heavy. I think we had one made from a 50 gal. barrel.

Archived