MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what do you add to fresh chicken when you cook it

I am going to cook one of the roosters my husband killed and I wanted to cook it I was wondering how do you cook yours

my husband got one of those things for the grill where you but the whole chicken on it and a can of soda or something in it in the chicken he says we can do it in the oven don't sound right to me.

how do you cook yours and what do you add.

thanks

Well, we often make an herb butter with thyme, oregano, and anything else that smells right, and then slather it on between the skin and the meat. We then sprinkle sea salt with some more thyme and herbs on the outside of the skin, and then pop it in the oven. MMMM-MMMM, that's good eats!

I know there's a few recipies for beer-can chicken, where the chicken is propped on a half-empty beer can, along with some other ingredients . . .

It depends on how I want the chciken. If in a crockpot, I add water. If I want B-B-Q in the crockpot, I will drain a bit of the water off and add the sauce just before it is done. In the oven I may add a bit of water if I want baked. Sometimes I will add some lemon juice, butter, and lemon pepper spice.

:wormie2:

John

thanks my husband took the skin off never thought of looking beer can chicken up ( will need to add other stuff since we do not drink) thanks for the ideas

My favorite herb with baked chicken is rosemary. I mix together a spice mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, white sugar (enhances flavor), and I crush the rosemary when adding that. I could try to come up with approximate measurements when I get home (about 2 hours more), but I just do it by looks.

I pour some into the cavity, kind of pat it around inside, then quarter a couple of onions and put those inside. Then I rub the rest of the mixture on the outside (with no skin, I'd spray it with "Pam" or rub olive oil on it before the mixture) and bake it.

You can bake it uncovered with the skin, but without skin I'd probably cover it with foil or a lid. Baste occasionally with chicken broth (I make it with a dry mix).

Darn... I'm making myself hungry for baked chicken.... :(

These make a good BBQ sauce.

12 ounces Coca Cola

1 1/2 cup Ketchup

1 cup Finely Chopped Onion

1/4 cup Cider Vinegar

1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce

1 teaspoon Chili Powder

1 teaspoon Salt

Hot Pepper Sauce (Tabasco) to taste

Directions:

Bring ingredients just to boil, then reduce to simmer for 30 to 45 minutes and sauce thickens.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Coca Cola Barbeque Sauce serves/makes 1 quart

2 1/2 cups Dr. Pepper

1 cup ketchup

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup dry minced onion

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon basil

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Directions:

Blend all ingredients in a blender or stir for about 2 minutes. Store sauce in a tightly sealed container. Refrigerate (will keep for several weeks refrigerated). Shake well before using. Use as a basting sauce while grilling.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Dr. Pepper Bbq Sauce serves/makes 4.75 cups

1 cup root beer

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup orange juice

3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 1/2 tablespoon (packed) dark brown sugar

1 tablespoon unsulphured (light) molasses

1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)

1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook over low heat 8-10 hours, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to 1 1/2 cups. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

Cool sauce and transfer to bowl. Cover and refrigerate. (Can be made 2 weeks ahead; keep refrigerated.)

This recipe from CDKitchen for Root Beer

Archived