MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tomorrow is canning day

WormGuy

I am on vacation this week and the wife is making sure I don't waste it doing something silly like day dreaming. :D So we have plans tomorrow to can chili and maybe white beans with ham. I have 15 pounds of ground beef thawing in the fridge along with several bags of frozen onion and bell peppers, some with 2006 date on them. :o Everything else is laid out ready to go when I get up so hopefully it will be a productive day. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

:wormie2:

John

What a wonderful way to spend the day together!

Makes the whole house smell good when canning.

Hey wormie, did you see the post on canning hamburger? she "boiled' the meat instead of frying it?

I going to try it that way the next time. :thumbs:

PS while typing this reply to you it jumped 2 times? hasn't done that in a while? Just as I typed 'wormie' it did it? Is it YOU! :shrug:

:AmishMichael2:

The ham is done and the first load of chili is in the canner. I got 11 quarts and 1 pint from the first batch. the second batch is cooking, the ham is cooling, and the jars for the next load is in the dishwasher. I may not get the ham and beans done, my stomach is cramping pretty bad and I don't know why. Hopefully it will ease up soon.

John

Tummy is somewhat better so I'm not going to push it too much. I'll soak the beans over night and do them tomorrow. The second load is processing, another 11 quarts and 1 pint. On another note, the guage on my canner is not working, I'm glad I have the weight.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Are you canning sloppy joes ? I made some for dinner tonight from my frozen peppers and onions. Mmm, good !

Violet would you share the reciepe for canning sloppy joes? Wife was talking about this last night.

John

Wormie, how big is your canner? I'm trying to get an idea of how big I need to go to be able to stack pints and get more quarts in there. I only have a 16-quart and I can get in 9 pints or 7 quarts. It's not tall enough to stack. I want to start looking for a bigger canner on Craigslist but don't know how big to go.

Violet, I would also be grateful if you could share your sloppy joe recipe! My hubby loves sloppy joes and for some reason I never make them! He'd be so happy if I canned some up for him... :)

You need a 23 qt. canner in order to stack jars. I like the Presto ones for this . I have 2 of them.

The recipe below is ONLY safe in PINTS.

SLOPPY JOES FOR PRESSURE CANNING

3 lbs cooked ground beef

1 1/2 cups diced onions

3 cloves (or 3 tsp minced/canned) garlic

3/4 cup brown sugar (optional)

2 Tbsp prepared mustard

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp thyme

2 cups ketchup

1 cup prepared chili sauce

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup worcestershire sauce

2 Tbsp lemon juice

6 sterilized pint canning jars, lids & rings

In a heavy saucepan, begin to brown ground beef, then add onion and garlic; continue cooking until meat is browned. Drain off fat.

In a mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients including cooked ground beef. Heat all on stove until simmering.

Carefully spoon this hot mixture into hot jars, leaving a one-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles with a spatula and wipe the rims of the jars clean of any food residue. Place lid & ring securley on jars.

Process for 75 minutes at 15 lbs of pressure.

If you can't get a bigger canner do like we do-

We have 2 canners and set them both up on the stove and run them together.

Now-

We have 2 timers going as each one will work at about the same time but off just a bit.

AND you have to watch them close as far as the gauges and rockers go , so STAY in the Kitchen when doing it this way. (I sit in a chair by the stove and read a book or work a puzzle book, or do something so I can keep an eye on things.

:AmishMichael2:

Printing this one now. Can't wait to try it. I don't care for hamburger, but dh, ds, and db would eat it every day if I would cook it.

Trudy, how about ground turkey or chicken ? You could use any ground meat.

You can also can chili sauce and use it for when you want to add meat later on. I suppose you could at that point use TVP or even tofu, whatever you wanted. Never had it with beans, but I would think it would taste good.

Violet, I do like turkey. Maybe I will try that. Wish I could get some deer meat, I LOVE venison!! Thanks for the suggestions! :bouquet:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived