MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How to use powdered eggs?

I bought a #10 can food assortment a year ago and the powdered eggs have about a 6 year shelf life. I have 12 cans of these suckers and really don't know how to use them. ( A 6 can case was replace due to rough handling from UPS and dented cans) I figure I better start using them up or they'll go to waste. Can you give me some ideas of how people use these?

Thank you in advance

You can substitute them in any cooking or baking recipe that calls for eggs. The conversion should be on the can but if not the standard conversion is 1 T. egg powder + 2 T. water for a medium egg and 2 T. egg powder + 1/4 c. water for an extra large egg.

You can scramble them, make omelets, make french toast, add to pancake and waffle batter, add to meat loaf or meatballs, as a batter dip and dredge in flour coating for any fried meats or fish, make crepes with them and fill as desired. If you like Orange Julius drinks you can use them with OJ in the blender too.

Many restaurants use them for the breakfast bar omelets and scrambled eggs.

When I used to trade for commodity powdered eggs, I would put egg powder and milk powder in with the orange powder that my 12-cent-a-box macaroni and cheese came with.

They are good in cornbread.

They add substance to light bread rolls and loaves.

They enrich stroganoffs and casseroles that use a white sauce--stir a little egg into the white sauce right before you pour it into the casserole. Ditto cheese/cream sauce. Same deal with pot pies.

They add nutrients to milk shakes, smoothies, and Instant Breakfasts.

Ditto puddings.

Do you like egg nog? Make it with this powder and whipping cream.

They turn Vanilla anything into French Vanilla anything.

They add body and richness to gravies.

If you find them bland, add a tiny pinch of Chinese mustard.

If you don't want them, I'll send you my address and shipping money.

Cool... thank you for the feedback... I thought they were more like a dried scrambled egg than something that retained the cooking characteristics of a fresh egg... You've given me LOTS of ideas of how they can be used.. Thank you!!

Do powdered eggs that you buy taste like the commodity ones? A friend used to save hers for me because I love scrambled eggs made from them. I've thought about ordering some, but wasn't sure if they would taste the same. Can anyone recomend a good brand and where to order from?

The dried whole egg powder is basically the commodity egg. The scramble mix or scrambling mix or scrambled egg mixture has other stuff, including oils, and is a different thing altogether.

Several sites say they can't ship eggs right now due to labeling issues. This alarms me. Watch the sites for updates.

The dried whole egg powder is basically the commodity egg. The scramble mix or scrambling mix or scrambled egg mixture has other stuff, including oils, and is a different thing altogether.

Several sites say they can't ship eggs right now due to labeling issues. This alarms me. Watch the sites for updates.

Here's a new " conspiracy theory" ... Have you noticed that when they find ecoli in one batch of beef or whatever... it's tons and tons of product... What are they doing with all the " bad food"? If I was writing a fiction novel... I'd have this as a cover story on stocking vast quantities of food for some expected catastrophic event... If the government bought such quantities to store, there would be a link to their "plan", but if it is "bad food", everyone forgets about it...

Archived