MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Vegetable Garden and H2O

Just got done working a very long , busy weekend at Tina's Greenhouse - she was away again and we basicly run the place when she is away.

Had a LOT of people coming in for flowers and vegetable plants this past weekend and lots of talk about the weather we are having with all the rain and temps. hot one day cold the next day? Yesterday (Monday) I had to work the afternoon shilf alone for 4 hours while Lori woked at Library and with the cold, damp rain off and on all afternoon I just about froze - BUT we still had people coming in for stuff. . . mostly farmers and Amish that will shop in a pouring rain and think nothing of it. LOL

So how are you getting along with the weather in your area?

anything new this year because of it?

I am so glad that I garden with raised beds as after it rains it does seem to dry out faster and no puddles like we have been hearing about.

One Guy came in to buy (before we ran out) his vegetable plants but said IF he had to plant this week he would have to use his fishing waders to get out to the garden plot - has 2 - 3 feet of water still in back yard where garden is down in a little valley. WOW!

I told him to plant watercress and rice. LOL

:AmishMichaelstraw:

i have the opposite problem--it hasn't rained here--i think the last rain we got was in jan--we did get a hail storm the other day that beat the plants pretty bad---we are usually getting rain every other day or so during this time of year--but this year NOTHING sometimes i dream about watering--since that is all i EVER do :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Essentially, our weather is the same as Michael's. I get so achey with the rapid weather changes that it makes me not even want to do anything. I do have a lot of things started in the greenhouse, but I'd really like to get some of them in the ground.

I'm getting the same weather. Seems like it rains everyday. I have raised beds and they do dry out a little quicker.

I really should have had our beans planted already, but I'm concerned that the seeds would just rot. Is that right?

Our local newspaper has been doing articles about the area farmers not being able to get their crops planted because the fields are just too wet as well.

Did anyone hear anything about the fruit trees are going to have problems because with all the rain the bees aren't able to fly around and pollinate? I read that somewhere (not sure if on the internet or something local).

Drought conditions here!!! We did finally get a good rain a few days ago and the weather has been mild temp-wise since then. It's been nice. But no chance for rain in the near future and heat wave on its way ... lots of watering ... life in south texas!!

well yesterday (wednesday) we were to get rain in the afternoon? But as I said goodbye to Lori at 12:45 pm as she headed to work I saw the sun was coming out so I went back to the garden area "to get a few things done'.

WELL when she got home at 5:15 pm THERE I was STILL out in the garden "doing things"!

It was so nice out and I was getting things planted and more weeding done and 'playing' in our greenhouse I lost al track of time!

BUT I got lots done that I haven't been able too because of all the rain.

Then it rained at night so everything I put in got a nice long drink. :thumbs:

:AmishMichaelstraw:

PS maybe that is why I am up tonight? got 3 hour 'nap' (sleep) then awake from midnight on? now I need to go rest for 1 hour before we start another day.

Archived