MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Iced Tea Concentrate

pqtex

I'm wondering if a tea concentrate can be (safely) canned.

Dried herbs can be safely added to canning recipes, so would tea be any different than a very light syrup made from water, sugar and tea bags and perhaps dried mint leaves?

I want to make quart sized concentrates that would make a gallon of tea when diluted. Is there any reason this isn't safe to do? My family goes through more than a gallon of tea a day!

I appreciate any suggestions and input!

Thanks all...Jill

Would lemon juice added make a difference in whether it was safe or not to can? Or the amount of sugar? Or the type of tea (dried mint leaves vs black tea)?

We drink so much iced tea around here that I've even thought of buying a commercial iced tea brewer (3 gallon), but it would probably be more trouble than it's worth (and expensive). I was really hoping the dried herb "rule" would hold with the tea leaves or dried peppermint leaves.

My freezer is usually pretty full, but I might try making the super concentrated tea for the freezer. I usually make it fresh and refrigerate it, but don't have a lot of room in the refrigerator either for the amount I need, so I make it 2-3 times a day.

I am always conscientious about following the safe canning guidelines, so I won't do anything questionable.

Jill

There is no way to acidifiy it enough to make it safe. I have researched this as much as I can and have found no way to can this at home .

Sugar is not a preserving agent in foods unless it is about 65 % sugar. Otherwise it is only for flavor or texture.

I got an ice tea maker and I LOVE it ! I use it daily. Really helps save me time.

There is no way to acidifiy it enough to make it safe. I have researched this as much as I can and have found no way to can this at home .

Sugar is not a preserving agent in foods unless it is about 65 % sugar. Otherwise it is only for flavor or texture.

I got an ice tea maker and I LOVE it ! I use it daily. Really helps save me time.

Just wishful thinking!

I don't think the home-sized ice tea makers are big enough for our needs. I'm already making a concentrate and adding water to make a gallon at a time. And immediately have to make another batch. My husband takes three half-gallon jugs to work with him every day. That doesn't count what we drink at home. I partially fill the jugs with tea and freeze them. Then completely fill them with tea on work day so they stay icy cold all day. I rarely buy any soft drinks. I can a lot of fruit juice from our pears and strawberries, but tea is our main drink. the commercial brewers are big and I don't know how hard they are to wash. My sink can barely handle my big stock pots and canner.

I really appreciate your replies.

Jill

Archived