MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

buttermilk powder

carr

Hey, I'm trying to put together some of Mare's mixes for the pantry and I finally some buttermilk powder for the pancake mix. My questions are: I found Saco's Buttermilk Blend ... is that the same as the buttermilk powder called for in the recipe? If so, the container says to store in refrigerator after opening. I thought these were for pantry storage. A little guidance from the experts please ... thanks!!!

BUTTERMILK PANCAKE MIX

2 cups buttermilk powder

8 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup granulated sugar

8 tsp baking powder

4 tsp baking soda

2 tsp salt

Sift the ingredients together well. Store in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Makes 10 cups of mix.

To make about 10 pancakes:

1 egg, beaten

2 Tbsp vegetable oil

1 cup water, or more as needed.

1 1/2 cups buttermilk pancake mix (see above)

Mix ingredients until blended together; let it stand five minutes. Cook pancakes.

NOTES:

Use the mix within 6 months of when you make it.

The pancakes made from this mix aren't as sweet as those made from Aunt Jemima mix, but they are good. You can always add sugar, of course.

Although we haven't tried this (yet), you could probably vary the recipe by using a different type of flour to make, for example, your own buckwheat pancakes.

If you can't find buttermilk powder in your local grocery store, try a bulk food store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't remember it being called "buttermilk blend" before. I wonder if they changed the formula.

I haven't refrigerated it in the past, but it's been a while since I used it. I figure you'd also need to refrigerate the mix, too, if the powdered buttermilk needs refrigeration. :shrug:

I'm guessing they recommend refrigeration for "optimal quality".

Anyone else?

If you can give me till next week, maybe I'll email them over the weekend and ask some questions.

http://sacofoods.com/facts-and-info/view/notes-on-cultured-butter-and-buttermilk

thanks Cat, appreciate the help.

• 1 month later...

Archived