MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Write It Down, by illness/symptom

TheCG

I have a sore throat and a fever. I know that I know what to do about it, but I can't think of it.

I think my next free prepper project will be making lists of what to do, by symptom/illness. That way, I just have to find the list. If I get really industrious, I might even make a package for each thing (ie, Cepacol and salt for salt water gargles in a baggie marked "sore throat").

I know that feeling. When you're sick, your brain gets foggy..so thats a good idea. One thing I've found soothing for a sore throat is sage tea...use ordinary sage leaves from your spice rack in a tea ball. Steep like any other tea and drink. I would also use mouthwash to kill any germs, brush my teeth and then have some plain yogurt (with acidophillus) with honey.

If it gets into your chest, I'd make similar to a pb/jam sandwich but sliced up bits of raw garlic and honey slathered on both inner sides of 2 slices of bread. Years ago, I developed double pneumona VERY bad. The ER dr. told me that it saved my life.(or my mother did giving me this) It makes the phlem come up within about 30 minutes of eating it.

Whenever someone is sick in my house, I make the old remedy of chicken soup---with lots of garlic, onions and carrots. Years ago a homeopathic dr. told me to boost the immune system, fill your tub with as hot of water as you can stand up to your ankles. Put a towel over your head and sit on the edge. Then dry your feet, put on socks and go to bed. Vicks vapo rub on your feet is good too. I find if family is coughing, to put vapo rub on their back/chest but they must make sure they are warm with a blanket on them. I've found that often they'll start coughing if that blanket is not on them.(with or without vicks)

As well, the naturopathic/homeopathic dr. said steamed onions and carrots were good for resp.problems.

I've also heard that raw pineapple is good for removing 'poisons' from your system and to eat that. As well, do you have Oil of Oregano? Its said that it kills sore throat germs within 48 hours...and is a good immune booster. (there are so many immune boosters out there--elderberry syrup, ecchinecea, etc)

There are lots of other good remedies out there but thats all I can think of off hand. Hope they help.

1319751981[/url]' post='367842']

I know that feeling. When you're sick, your brain gets foggy..so thats a good idea. One thing I've found soothing for a sore throat is sage tea...use ordinary sage leaves from your spice rack in a tea ball. Steep like any other tea and drink. I would also use mouthwash to kill any germs, brush my teeth and then have some plain yogurt (with acidophillus) with honey.

If it gets into your chest, I'd make similar to a pb/jam sandwich but sliced up bits of raw garlic and honey slathered on both inner sides of 2 slices of bread. Years ago, I developed double pneumona VERY bad. The ER dr. told me that it saved my life.(or my mother did giving me this) It makes the phlem come up within about 30 minutes of eating it.

Whenever someone is sick in my house, I make the old remedy of chicken soup---with lots of garlic, onions and carrots. Years ago a homeopathic dr. told me to boost the immune system, fill your tub with as hot of water as you can stand up to your ankles. Put a towel over your head and sit on the edge. Then dry your feet, put on socks and go to bed. Vicks vapo rub on your feet is good too. I find if family is coughing, to put vapo rub on their back/chest but they must make sure they are warm with a blanket on them. I've found that often they'll start coughing if that blanket is not on them.(with or without vicks)

As well, the naturopathic/homeopathic dr. said steamed onions and carrots were good for resp.problems.

I've also heard that raw pineapple is good for removing 'poisons' from your system and to eat that. As well, do you have Oil of Oregano? Its said that it kills sore throat germs within 48 hours...and is a good immune booster. (there are so many immune boosters out there--elderberry syrup, ecchinecea, etc)

There are lots of other good remedies out there but thats all I can think of off hand. Hope they help.

Thanks. I do have oil of oregano. I'm actually not coughing up anything, and don't really have much in the way of drainage. That kinda disturbs me, because I've never had anything like strep.

I have sage as well...can I make tea and add honey? I have homemade chicken broth in the freezer...can I toss it in a pot with chopped onion and garlic and just let it simmer until they're soft?

I know that feeling. About 3 years ago, the whole family came down with the flu. We were so weak, we could just lay there on the futon and moan. I was nursing the baby, who was also sick. So, we basically slept, nursed, and when awake, I would go into the kitchen and make tea. I knew we needed more nourishment, and I remembered my homemade chicken stock. I warmed up some of that, added a pinch of salt for flavor, and we had hot broth and tea. I was SO glad I had some frozen already, because it would have been too much to make from scratch.

If you have some remedies already made, you won't have to do much thinking: elderberry syrup/elixir, fire cider, garlic honey... and a collection of cold and flu teas.

Sage with honey is a GREAT tea, very antimicrobial. I also recommend thyme for coughs.

Feel better soon. :hug3:

You ever hear of slicing onions and layering them on your feet, maybe some old gauze might be handy and then putting on some socks to make them fit up against the skin?

Evidently someone who is a good medical professional tested onions. They will suck that fever and virus right out of you evidently. Sort of a flu detox. People still swear by this. The onion slices turn black overnight absorbing stuff out of your body.

Also, the other thing was placing an unpeeled onion in the room or rooms of your house and especially who ever is sick, their bedrooms. They tested these after several days in a sick house. Sliced them and tested them. They found influenza virus of same type as sick person, it also cured the flu really fast, within the onion layers.

Maybe some old wives tales are true? Just a bit messy I guess. Well lay a rubber sheet or diaper under where you put your feet I guess and try it. Cant hurt.

I know onions are great for helping you nutritionally and are antiviral that way, so this is just a different way to apply it.

and yes if I am sick my brain fog is so bad, lol. :misc-smiley-231:

can we say :: Notebooks like the composition books for school age kids are very very helpful for things like that and can fit in a day pack you may have as a go bag? Color code them or something I guess depending on subject and you can use them for lots of different issues. I just cut out stuff I print up too and tape it down on a page. They are easier on my hands to hold and less awkward and slim compared to binders, and cheap to buy so I got several last time I got them.

It really helps for reminders we may need under stress and these flu's are definitely challenging.

:sad-smiley-012:

We were talking about onions and how to use them for flu/colds in another thread the other day http://mrssurvival.c...=1

I posted info with an soup recipe that I was thinking could work with chicken or beef stock. I was thinking I could dehydrate it and divide it into 1/4's and vacuum seal it and just pull out a pack as needed and rehydrate it. My question is would it still work as well as using fresh ingredients.

Archived