MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New Stove

RenieB

We had to sell our old wood stove last year as neitther of us was able to handle the wood. We are seniors and just not ajble to do that anymore. We finally were able to get th money together to get a new coal stove that will be delivered this week. We were able to get $300 of the asking price as it is getting near the end of the season. I can't believe the price of oil and gas so this will help us out a lot. Also, we will have heat if the power goes out (a common occurance here in Maine.

Congratulations on the new stove. I know nothing about coal though. It will come in handy. This sounds like it will make your life a whole lot easier.

Trying to look on the lighter side, being a senior does have its advantages, senior discounts, using it as an excuse to do or not do something, etc. THe only problem is I think my sons have figured it out.

Coal is not used as commonly here either as wood is but I can see the advantages for someone getting older in both acquiring the coal and in loading the stove. Happy you were able to get this! Backup heat is so important. We are putting a wood stove in our new tiny cabin as a backup source and since we are on 9 acres we have wood available (we will start cutting wood soon for this, already have a little due to some trees we had to cut down right away).

Glad you were able to find a stove. My grandparents used coal until my grandfather died almost 14 years ago. I always liked watching when he'd open the door and poke the coals to get them fired back up. The cinders left over were a bonus as he used them on his driveway. I don't remember them ever having to buy gravel.

Archived