MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canned White Beans

I'm hoping that Violet or one of the other "Canner Masters" on the site could help me with this....

I canned some white beans and when they came out and cooled down...they DID seal...but I've noticed that lots of their fluid was gone inside. Some of them only have water up to about 3/4 of the height of the jar. I hope I'm making sense. In other words, about 1/4 of the total beans in the jar...the ones on top...don't have any "bean juice" at all covering them.

My hubby is concerned that the beans might be bad because of the lack of fluid in the jars, and truthfully, I am too.

Will these beans still be good? I don't understand where all the bean water went. :( I followed the Bell Blue Book recipe precisely. :(

Waaah!

(Oh, while I'm asking about canning...I canned some russet potatoes and there is a blob of white stuff -- I'm assuming starch -- at the bottom of each jar. My husband won't eat them because of it. That's normal, right????)

The potatoes probably do have starch in the bottom. I rinse my potatoes before I use them. I only like white, red, or Yukon gold potatoes canned. I also use Pickle crisp in the jars. Plain russet type potatoes are not good tasting or texture wise to me.

The beans are fine. Use those jars up first. Then, next time I suggest filling the jars only 1/2 full of the hot cooked, beans, then the rest of the jar with fresh hot water. That way they will be covered with water and it will not be so starchy as if you try to can the cooking liquid with them. I am also going to start using Pickle Crisp in the beans, too.

The top part of the jars of beans may discolor, but you can still use them up.

That's happened to me too TurtleMama and I was told it often happens because you've got your burner too hot or when you lower the heat a little once it really gets going.

I now set my burner about 3/4 and then let her go and not mess with it again. It may take a little longer to get up to pressure but at least the jars don't bubble over as often.

Does that make sense to you Violet?

Ahh, sweet relief! :) I thought I'd ruined a dozen pints of beans!! Thanks so much for your always-amazing advice, Violet!

And thank you, Wink, for the advice on bringing my canner up to pressure more slowly.

Yes, and also during processing to make small adjustments at a time. Plus, you also need the additional 10 min. wait at the end. You let the pressure to drop naturally, then only remove the weight or counterweight. Do not open the canner yet. Set time for another 10 min. Then, you slowly remove lid and the jars. That also helps with liquid loss or siphoning from the jars.

Tell TurtlePappa the taters are fine. Mine always do that too. As Violet said, just rinse them off. I figured it was starch.

I have not had good luck with canning white beans. Maybe I'll try again this winter when I have more time. All my lids popped. Sigh.