MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Flour in an unmarked ziploc

So in one of my not so with it moments, I put flour in a ziploc bag when I pulled it out of the freezer and forgot to label it. <_< Do I use it for bread in the bread machine? What do I do????

Edited by Jori

Was this recently or possibly years ago? If it could be old, open the bag and give it a sniff. You'll be able to smell if it's inedible or not.

Do you buy more than one type flour? (i.e., bread and regular?) If so, you can't tell visually what type of flour it is. So, if it passes the sniff test, throw it in the bread machine! As you've probably already figured out from your question, you can use any type of flour to make bread but you can't use just any type of flour to make cookies. Bread flour, btw, will totally mess up your cookie recipe! Personally, I only buy two types of flour: whole wheat or white (with the occassional bit of rye for special purposes). Bread flour is a bit of a waste of money, imho.

• 1 month later...

So in one of my not so with it moments, I put flour in a ziploc bag when I pulled it out of the freezer and forgot to label it. <_< Do I use it for bread in the bread machine? What do I do????

If you have a known source of all-purpose and a known source of bread flour...grab a sample of each (a couple teaspoons), put in small bowls, throw a little bit of water on them, and feel both samples with your hands. The difference between the all-purpose flour and the bread flour will be readily apparent.

Make a 3rd sample out of the "mystery" flour and you'll be able to see from there.

Nope, haven't been in that situation ever... :lol: