MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anybody have any good tips?

I just got this yesterday. So far I have discovered that my board isn't big enough, need a bigger one, the table wobbles and isn't level, I DO need those C clamps that the lumber yard was out of, bungee cords ain't a gonna do, the valve on the bowl doesn't seal completely and you better get that crank up to speed before you get too much milk leaking thru or it will be all over the table and floor.

I ran daughter's milk thru 4 times to be sure I got the fat out. Probably overkill, but since this was my first time, I wasn't sure I was doing it right. Then she didn't approve of the skim milk, I've always given her whole milk and this goat milk is rich. So after slaving for hours on this (including the milking) I get the evil eye for insisting she drink it. Guess she'll adjust.

I'm not sure a lot of people will appreciate what we go through for allergies, but I sure do. ((((CGA and DD)))

First, I might wonder why the valve leaks. It shouldn't. Is this a new or used separator. If used, perhaps a gasket/washer is missing. If new, can you enquire why? or is there some hints in the book that came with it?

It is my experience that all separators need a level surface and I'm sure with a table top it will need some securing as well. The cream is pulled out of the milk by centrifigal force so you really do have to get that thing going. Goat's milk is also more naturally homogonized so will take a bit more to get it moving.

As handy as you are, I wonder if you could fashion some sort of stand for it or perhaps even a wall mounted holder for it, perhaps in the garage or an outbuilding. Not a big deal then if it does leak.

I don't blame you for running that milk through a few times. You can probably tell if you are getting it all after one or two times by checking to see if more cream is being extracted. And of course, you will know by your daughters reaction to it as well.

As for her not liking it, I can't say I'd blame her after having all that nice rich milk. It does taste different, as much because the texture is different as the richness. Like you say, she'll most likely get used to it but in the mean time, is there something you can put in it to disguise the taste or texture? Honey, maple, blended fruit? Or use it for a medium for her extra calories, maybe as a smoothie?

I sure wish you luck with this. Using a separator is a lot of work when you add in the clean up but if this works she will at least be getting some of the nutrients she needs. Bless you, dear.

:bighug2:

CGA, I mentioned this to DH and he suggested that you might be able to renew the seal on the bowl valve, if there is a rubber or neoprene seal that is, by soaking it in hot water to soften it before use. I do remember now that we had to do that with our floor model cream separator, especially if the appliance sat without use for a long time.

He reminded me that we still HAVE that seperator stored away. I bet we haven't used it for twenty years and it was old then but it sure worked like a charm,,,,course, it was electric. It was my parents before we got it (and a cow to go with it too LOL) and dates from the forties probably. Those were the days. Hmm, now that I think of it, those were the days I wish I was younger and healthier to go back to. :happy0203:

It is a new separator, I think a design flaw on the valve. It is pretty cheaply made. If this works for daughter and she can drink the skim milk, I'll likely invest in a better machine.

I found a bigger board to use and went thru the house till I found an old dresser that is solid enough not to wobble and is level. I need to order clamps. I live in a mobile home and it is pretty hard to find anyplace to put extra equipment. I already have two grinders, stand mixer, blender, meat chopper, etc, etc plus all the milking equipment, canning equipment, many cases of home canned food, long term storage food, and everything for cooking two entirely different diets from scratch. And I sew, quilt, spin and weave! I need a BIG house. LOL It would be nice if it was all air conditioned too, instead of just one room where we both hibernate all summer. I have no garage and the outbuildings all house livestock. Storage trailer is out of the question for doing any work. House or nothing. Still, grateful for what I have and don't want to sound like I'm complaining! Old dresser is in the big bathroom and no place else to put it, but I guess I can pull a trash bag over the separator when not in use to keep the germs off. All the milk contact parts get taken off and washed right away and stored in a big pot between uses.

I'll see what I can fix for her that she will drink and not upset that sensitive gut of hers. I know she'll drink chocolate, but that is out until I am sure she is healed up and tolerating the milk.

Screwed that sucker down to the dresser and it went MUCH better today. I also made a spout for a slot that was letting milk drain down the side of the separator. Need to tweak that. There is a slot so that milk doesn't build up under the cone thingy and get into the mechanism, but I was getting too much milk out of it running the machine more than once and it is messy. Much better to have it go in a cup for the chicken bucket than all over the table and under the machine.

Mixed cherry juice concentrate and sugar with the milk and daughter was happier with it.

That's SUPER CGA. It proves that where there's a will, there's a way. :eclipsee_Victoria: I'm glad you found a way for DD to drink the milk. She WILL get used to it in time but anyway you can get it into her will be extra nutrients and calories for her.

I sure hope you find that she can tolerate some of the good fats eventually. Our bodies need that to do it's work. I've seen people who's health took a nose dive after only a few months on no-fat diets even though their doctor insisted they would be healthier.

I'll keep praying for her and for you. You definitely have your work cut out for you. Though, if you are like me, and I suspect you are, you are so used to researching, improvising, and well worrying...that you can do it almost in your sleep.

It has a good many fiddly parts, but really not that hard to clean. Lye soap and hot water and you're good to go.

Mother, I'm really concerned about her not having fat, but we are going to try some coconut oil in small amounts starting in about a month and see if her intestine has healed enough to handle it. I'm giving her dried pineapple and papaya to help with the enzymes.

I love coconut oil and it's got so many things to help heal. You know though, if you've got all that nice cream separated out, you might make butter, store it in the freezer, and then try tiny amounts of that too. It looks odd to eat as it's usually very white but it taste fine.

I was thinking though, if her colon doesn't heal well in that month or a bit more you might suspect the milk itself. I drank milk for years. Cows and goats. Then went to goats milk because I was having trouble with cows. That went well for several more years and then suddenly I developed an allergy to all milk. Not just lactose intollerant but a real allergy. I had colon problems just like you describe. It might be something to keep in mind if she doesn't seem to be recovering. Something else to check out is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) That has helped thousands of people recover from colon problems.

Unfortunately my allergies have done a TON of changing over the last few years. :gaah: Wouldn't you think that as we got older we'd get better??? Aren't oldies supposed to be goodies??? :24:

Most of the fat in her diet has been from the raw organic goat milk for quite some time. The rest is lard from our pastured pigs and a little fat from the poultry I raise organically. I sure hope she isn't having problems digesting the milk, but I'm watching her for symptoms. She doesn't talk and it is hard sometimes to figure out that she is having a problem unless she does something like dropping from 105# to 95# like she just did. More than adequate calorie intake and no increase in activity level or any other reason apparent for the weight loss. Definitely lots of undigested fat going thru her though.