MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Jackie Clay's Books

Hi Everybody

I am thinking about buying Jackie Clay’s book, Growing and Cooking Your Own Food. I’m also considering her book, Pantry Cookbook.

If I buy one or both of these books, I can also get a free book. Of the free choices, I’ve narrowed it down to Food Storage or Pressure Canning.

http://www.backwoods...ay-special.html

Do any of you have any experience with any of these books? Did you like them? Not like them? Why? Are there PDF copies of these somewhere on the net so I can look at them before I buy? Are there any that you feel are better?

Lots of questions, I know, but I’d really like to know what you think.

Thanks in advance

YYY

I don't have any of her books but I've read comments about some of her canning recipes on another forum. She cans things that are not considered safe to can such as milk and butter. Personally, I would be afraid to trust her canning book so I would choose the Food Storage book.

Actually, Jackie mentions things that SHE cans and states very correctly that there are reasons not to can things and reasons to can things. She is very careful in what she puts in her books. Some people will print instructions without adding her disclaimer and that is not right.

As for the free books, these are compilations of her Ask Jackie column. You can read her articles at Ask Jackie Online at www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/JackieClay/ and see what you think. She has been doing this for over 40 years and knows quite a bit about her subject.

I have her book about growing and canning. It is pretty good. My ony complaint is her growing part is geared a lot more towards where she lives so it is of little value to me. Her canning part is pretty good, she has lots of good recipes to use canned items in also. She goes step by step on the canning too.

That is good to hear. Besides, she is wise to cover herself legally. I can listed later on to this. Thanks.

I was glad to hear her admit that as well. I've followed her for years and couldn't believe some of the recipes she used to post. In fact, I think they are still available in archives over at the site. But, I'm sure the legal team at Backwoods Home probably brought her up to speed as far as publicly posted recipes. I did get the impression that she still used the old recipes for her own use. But, I'm guilty there as well. I still use an old "Minnesota" tomato & pepper recipe from Putting Foods By. I have started adding additional acid but I don't like it pressure canned. It totally ruins the texture.