MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Out of date cans

There really is no way of knowing unless you open the food and look to see if it is edible. Depends upon how they were stored, what the temp. was, just different variables. No way of saying a certain amount of years. If they are rusted or bulging, then just toss.

In the news recently someone found a 100-year-old can of preserved food. It was opened and found the food perfectly safe to eat since the can remained intact and sealed. Of course the nutrients were gone along with much of the texture, which is pretty much the only reason why you want to eat canned food earlier than later.

I'm still working on my 2007 canned food and have no complaints. Since I'm now eating for one it is taking me a lot longer to go through my pantry these years.

I look at those dates as a suggestion.

Usually a suggestion companies make to throw them out and buy more.

I try to eat store canned food within a couple of years after expiration but I'm not great at rotating so that doesn't always work out. :sEm_blush:

I'm in the C.N. boat. Eating for one takes a lot longer than say a family of four+