MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Is my pressure canner crazy or am I?

I've got a brand new Mirro 16 quart pressure canner (sans instruction booklet). Everything I read says the weight should be rocking, but all we're getting is spinning and hissing. We've tried various heating sources and levels thinking the heat wasn't consistent or was too high, but it keeps doing this. And I'm seeing online that Mirro canners should rock 3 times a minute, but to me this isn't rocking. I finally had my husband put it on outside and take a video for y'all to see.

Is this safe? And when I put food in this thing, does this count as processing?

:sSig_help2:

Edited by PoorMusician

Hope this helps................................. :canning:

photo-copied PDF of manual (see p. 9): http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/mirromanual.pdf

review site: http://www.mirropressurecookers.com/mirro-pressure-cookers/16-quart-mirro-pressure-cooker-canner/

manual for sale: http://www.cookingandcanning.net/allaminbo74.html

Blog:

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-kitchen/how-to-fix-troubleshoot-your-pressure-canner-problems/

Problem: The pressure regulator quit jiggling and is now just blowing a steady stream of steam
Possible cause and solution
1. Too much pressure in pot
a. Turn down your fire a bit

I have a Presto so I can't be any help here. I'll bet some seasoned canning experts around here will watch that vid and know the answer to your question. Just as a "comment" though, it seems to me that maybe the weight isn't balanced or perhaps the heat is too high for the weight? I checked the manual MNM posted, and it said not to use a weight over 10#? but also noted that it's a different type of weight. Mine comes with 3 pieces, the 5#, an additional ring to make it 10# and then another additional ring to make it 15#. I always use the 10#, and mine does indeed "rock" and hiss (doesn't spin) ... after I turn it down from it's initial start, to maintain the rocking motion.

These are the weights that came with the canner. I've got a 10# on in the video.

Turning down the heat just creates a less frequent hissing and spinning. At no point do I get any "rocking". The grill was just what was convenient to show y'all on, I've tried other heat sources too.

Philbe, what does "weight isn't balanced" mean? Are you talking about inside the canner or the little weight on top?

Can you return this canner ? Truthfully, new Mirros are junk. They have little springs in the handles that don't hold up. Then, the company has been bought out and the new company is not making parts for them as they should. One store I teach at will not even carry the Mirro any more.

I would take it back and get a Presto. Presto has a 16 qt. with just the weights at Walmart, or a dial gauge. Then, a 23 qt. size. If you plan to process more jars that what that 16 qt. holds, you can stack pints in the 23 qt on. Amazon sells them and free shipping.

Get the dial gauge canner, then buy a 3 piece weight set and use that instead of the counterweight if you can't find just the Presto weighted. . It is so easy ! The weight will jiggle the whole time. No guesswork. Presto part 50332 is what you would need.

I think your heat may be up too high with that Mirro. If it dances like that, and is doing at least 3 times a minute,then I would think it Ok. It will be a bother to keep track of, though, unlike a Presto.

It was a gift that I can't return. I honestly just want to make it work for this fall and show my husband how absolutely wonderful it is to have home canned soup, etc over the winter. If I can do that, then I should be able to set aside enough for a spiffy All-American unit next year.

I found a heat diffuser for the propane grill, that should help me lower the heat some more. Hopefully that solves the problem. I just don't understand why it would do the same thing on an electric stove turned down. I guess I can can everything and if it goes bad it'll just stress the importance of a good quality canner!

These are the weights that came with the canner. I've got a 10# on in the video.

Turning down the heat just creates a less frequent hissing and spinning. At no point do I get any "rocking". The grill was just what was convenient to show y'all on, I've tried other heat sources too.

Philbe, what does "weight isn't balanced" mean? Are you talking about inside the canner or the little weight on top?

The weight may not be a good balance, and with the heat too high it makes it spin? Maybe try a heavier weight? ...but Violet knows a lot more about this me. It appears she's not a fan of this type of canner. My opinion? If you can't return it, I'd use it only as a water bath canner, not a pressure cooker.

Edited by Philbe

It was a gift that I can't return. I honestly just want to make it work for this fall and show my husband how absolutely wonderful it is to have home canned soup, etc over the winter. If I can do that, then I should be able to set aside enough for a spiffy All-American unit next year.

I found a heat diffuser for the propane grill, that should help me lower the heat some more. Hopefully that solves the problem. I just don't understand why it would do the same thing on an electric stove turned down. I guess I can can everything and if it goes bad it'll just stress the importance of a good quality canner!

The problem is, that if it goes "bad" and there is botulism involved you won't be able to see, smell, or taste it. That is why we need to find a way to get this canner to work right.

You cannot use more than 12,000 btu's to safely can on. I don't know how many btu's your camp stove has. We only know of one brand that we are recommending and that is a Camp Chef since the 2 burner one with the wind shield around it seems to be low enough on the low setting. You need to see how many btu's yours has. Seems odd that your electric stove would do it, too. If you use the electric one you need a special canning element if you don't already know about them. Otherwise you may very well burn out the element or the wiring. The element may sag. The top of your stove permanently discolor.

Try the canner with only water in it and see what happens with the diffuser. Get the canner to function right before processing jars of food. Keep working with just the standard 2 to 3 inches of water and vent the full 10 min. before the weight goes on.

Violet-

Tell me more about the "special canning element" you need for an electric stove. I live in an apt and don't want to permanently damage/discolor the stove by using my canner (16 qt Presto). I don't can very frequently and haven't had any problems so far ('cept when the safety plug blew and I had hot water dripping off of the ceiling), but I don't want to run into any problems if I start using it more frequently. :canning:

I've confirmed with the manufacturer that my outdoor grill is running below 12K BTU.

Just as a curiosity at this point... what's the problem with higher BTUs? Does it heat the system up too quick?

I used a friends "canner ready" stovetop as an additional test. I had the same problem there and she does regularly pressure can there (with a jealousy inducing AA canner).

So what else could be wrong? Would uneven heat cause this? Is still don't understand what Philbe is saying about the weight not being a good balance.

I've confirmed with the manufacturer that my outdoor grill is running below 12K BTU.

Just as a curiosity at this point... what's the problem with higher BTUs? Does it heat the system up too quick?

I used a friends "canner ready" stovetop as an additional test. I had the same problem there and she does regularly pressure can there (with a jealousy inducing AA canner).

So what else could be wrong? Would uneven heat cause this? Is still don't understand what Philbe is saying about the weight not being a good balance.

Just thinking that perhaps the weight is too many (or too little) pounds for the heat. IE: a #10 weight for a temperature to high? Or...perhaps not enough water (or too much?) in the canner?

Edited by Philbe

The canning element has larger coils, and more of them. Then, the part that comes out of the plug is curved up more, so it sits higher over the stove top. It also has heavier supports under the coils so it can withstand the weight of the canners.

Plus sitting higher over the stove keeps it from ruining the pain on the stove. They cost about $40 usually. Just need to take your element out and take it to an appliance repair shop and they should be able to sell you one.

You can order them online, too.

I haven't. Can't believe I didn't think of that. I've only got the one set. If it works fine with the 15# weight will I just buy a new set or can I use 15# instead of 10#? 90% of this falls canning will be broth based soup, so I'm not too worried about food consistency.

The diffuser arrives tomorrow so here's hoping one of these works!

Thanks all!