MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fruit Butters

Accomplished something I have never even tried. Fruit butters....yummmm

I did peach and apricot butter in the crock pot. It was so simple and it cooked while I was at work then I canned it up when I got home. This year was a "test run" to see if I could make it and how well it stores.

Next year I will do lots more.

I used my little 2qt crock pot and cooked the fruit about an hour before I left on high then used my imerson blender and then let it cook down while I was gone. I forgot to raise the lid on one batch so the steam would escape so it took longer but the next couple of batches I laid table knives acoss the top and it worked wonders. I cooked it on low.

I did not add the spices just fruit, sugar and lemon juice and it turned out really good. Going to try apple butter this way too but will add the cinnanmon to it.

Bruised sand pears make excellent pear butter--just chop off the icky parts, halve or quarter any pear that didn't get a huge part of it whacked off, cook a bit, mash off the peels and pick out the cores in big pieces, and cook it on down. I have never added sugar (except as candy) or lemon juice, but I like to put in a packet of cinnamon candies for a pretty color and great flavor. I never can this stuff--it doesn't last long enough to bother.

The chickens appreciate the icky bits.

Edited by Ambergris

Be sure you put it in a big pot and heat to a boiling before putting in the jars. The crockpot doesn't make it hot enough to go directly into the jars.

According to the Ball's canning book it says says nothing about boiling just simmer. When I laddled it up from the crock pot it was bubbling.

Hmmm...perhaps next time instead of just canning my "peach dessert" that comes directly out of my Vita-Mix, boiled, then canned; I'll add the sugars etc. and see if it gets thick. We enjoy the "peach dessert" poured over vanilla ice cream, or pieces of yellow cake etc.