MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

bad/questionable info in USA Weekend

My local paper has the USA Weekend magazine thing in it. I was flipping through and saw an article on canning tips.

Here's the article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/weekend/living/2013/10/11/fall-canning-cucumbers/2960417/

Here's the part that disturbs me:

Spike Gjerde, chef-owner of Baltimore's farm-centric Woodberry Kitchen and Artifact Coffee is quoted in the article saying "The simplest way to can safely is to add vinegar to lower the pH somewhere below 4.5. Then pasteurize the can in a water bath. Kill everything, and make sure it stays dead."

:huh: I've re-read it a couple times, thinking that maybe I'm reading that wrong...or maybe they misquoted or.... :scratchhead:

I guess that's what I call a New Age mentality. Correct, but not correct. There's also a canning book entitled "Canning For A New Generation" by Liana Krissoff, that does things her way. I purchased it just to see what the recipes were. I don't recommend it for the people that would probably buy it.

I think we see year after year, people trying to cut corners because of inadequate equipment, inadequate time or ??? They may get away with it for a season or two, but what about those who follow their "advice" and it's a failure...and they get sick? I'm fearful enough about canning to not cut ANY corners ... let alone waste my food on failed processing!