MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone who uses Google storage

Mt_Rider

I don't use Google storage.  But a heads up for anyone this might affect...you'd probably get your own notice of this but ....

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-QUOTE=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Dear Google User,
We are writing to let you know that we recently announced new storage policies for Google Accounts using Gmail, Google Drive (including Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings, Forms, and Jamboard files) and/or Google Photos that bring us in line with industry practices. Since you have previously used one or more of these products in your Google Account storage, we wanted to tell you about the new policies well before they go into effect on June 1, 2021. Below is a summary of the new policies. Please reference our Help Center article for a complete list of what's changing.
Summary of the new policies (effective June 1, 2021):
If you're inactive for 2 years (24 months) in Gmail, Drive or Photos, we may delete the content in the product(s) in which you're inactive. Google One members who are within their storage quota and in good-standing will not be impacted by this new inactive policy.
If you exceed your storage limit for 2 years, we may delete your content across Gmail, Drive and Photos.
What this means for you:
You won't be impacted by these changes unless you've been inactive or over your storage limit for 2 years. As this policy goes into effect June 1, 2021, the earliest it would be enforced is June 1, 2023.
After June 1, 2021, if you are either inactive or over your storage limit, we will send you email reminders and notifications in advance and prior to deleting any content.
Even if you are either inactive or over your storage limit for one or more of  these services and content is deleted, you will still be able to sign in.
Note: The inactivity and over quota storage policies will apply only to consumer users of Google services. Google Workspace, G Suite for Education and G Suite for Nonprofits policies are not changing at this time, and admins should look to the Admin Help center for storage policies related to their subscriptions.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-UNQUOTE=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Sounds to me like they are data mining. They canceled my email account and I’ve never been able to get it back.  I can’t even log in. :scratchhead: And.. their spam mail overloaded my account!  It wasn’t my fault. 

I heard tonite that my brother got the notice ....the account for his work has an ABUNDANCE of pics of the construction work sites.  They keep records at every stage of their deconstruction and building.....years and years of it.  He's spent hours getting those transferred to a storage device...or multiple devices.  He is not amused....  :mad:  ...and he's not done yet.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Its free storage for the most part.  Get an external hard drive and update it every so often.  I use the google storage to transfer things between devices, but you get what you pay for and free storage is free storage; it is almost always better to back up your own stuff.    

Amazon has 3TB storage for under $27

Amazon.com: Portable External Hard Drive USB3.0 SATA HDD Storage (160G, Gray): Computers & Accessories

Edited by euphrasyne
1 hour ago, euphrasyne said:

Its free storage for the most part.  Get an external hard drive and update it every so often.  I use the google storage to transfer things between devices, but you get what you pay for and free storage is free storage; it is almost always better to back up your own stuff.    

Amazon has 3TB storage for under $27

Amazon.com: Portable External Hard Drive USB3.0 SATA HDD Storage (160G, Gray): Computers & Accessories

That's 160 GB, not 3TB.  The USB 3.0 is referring to the type of connection.  That being said...here's 4TB for $100, at least right now: https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-External-Silver/dp/B08DDC36S1/

• Like 1

You are right, CG.  I didn't look closely enough.  It is early here and I need more coffee.

I have these: Amazon.com: WD 2TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive, Black - WDBYVG0020BBK-WESN: Electronics but I got it a few years back from best buy and only paid about $30 for it.  (Red one in pic)  I'd buy more of these.  I like it because the color makes it easy to find and identify.  

I have a Toshiba 3TB one that looks sort of like this one, but again I only paid around $25~30 for it: Amazon.com: Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 1 TB Portable Hard Drive (Black)(HDTB210XK3BA): Electronics  (small black one in pic)  I like this one best because it loads fast and is small.  

I also have some 5TB seagate ones that have to plug in but I hate those.  DO NOT BUY, they are TERRIBLE and I want to throw them out. They are similar to this, but a 5TB in this brand and product: Amazon.com: Seagate Desktop 8TB External Hard Drive HDD – USB 3.0 For PC Laptop And Mac, 1-year Rescue Service (STGY8000400): Computers & Accessories  (large black one in pic)

20201215_081156.jpg

Edited by euphrasyne