MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Good Grief...this video from cop ...

Mt_Rider

21 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

.but I don't know where.

....Adams Cty along I-25 (if that helps)

It is unusual for a car to pull over to the shoulder off of the FAST lane, and I am surprised that the cop approached the car where it was.

I thought it was a "rule" to always pull over to the right most (slow) lane when stopping for any reason. Calif also has the "move over" rule for the safety of all first responders and tow trucks and maintenance crews. 

I am also very surprised that when the van sheered off into the highway after the collision that it didn't cause any kind of a chain reaction accident. 

• Sad 1

Midnightmom, it's a very common practice to move over to the left shoulder on multi-lane highways. If the police have activated their lights/siren you pull over. It is safer to pull over to the left shoulder than to try to have two cars cross over lanes of speeding traffic to get to the right shoulder. And it's easier for the 'perp' to try to make a run for it in traffic resulting in a possible high speed chase. That's what the left shoulder is for. Emergencies and traffic stops. It looked like there were 4 lanes of high speed traffic so it would be more dangerous to try to cross over. When stopped, you always give the police room to approach on the side of the vehicle away from traffic. Thank goodness that's what that driver did!

We also have the 'move over' law IF it's safe to do so and the lane beside you is clear. And slow down regardless. 

Guess who drives the interstate a lot had to study (a lot) to take her drivers license written and road test two years ago?  :hi:

• Like 5

CO has Move Over....and this inattentive driver "moved over" the wrong way..... Likely steering unconsciously where s/he was staring and BAM! 

I don't remember how many other vehicles became involuntarily INVOLVED in this mess.  You can hear the cops saying CLOSE THE HIGHWAY!  But quite a few became bumper cars.  The first car who make contact with the one who got pulled over, went careening out into the other unfortunate vehicles till there were several spun around and damaged.  Did this video take it far enough to see that?  Mebbe not.  But so close if the cop hadn't just gone back to his cycle before the wandering vehicle slammed the stopped car. 

MtRider  .....  I'd never want to be LEO ....  :pray:    Dangerous jobs! 

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

CO has Move Over....and this inattentive driver "moved over" the wrong way..... Likely steering unconsciously where s/he was staring and BAM! 

Probably true. I know I've done that. Reached over for something on the passenger seat and started steering in that direction. Easy to do. LEO's face so many dangers every day. I keep thinking of what could have been in the blink of an eye...  :pray:

• Like 1

I'll be surprised if the guy who got hit doesn't end up with some lasting injuries. They hit that cement wall pretty hard. 

I had 2 bad whiplashes within a few of months time. Luckily I was younger and rebounded faster. I'll tell you what though, I'm paying for it now! Big time.

• Like 2

Jeepers, I was years before I started having issues with my neck from whiplash. I now have a plate and Gadiva bones C4 through C7 because of that accident. The whiplash was so bad I couldn't turn my head for a couple of months. I still have issues, but not as bad now. Arthritis is setting in. 

• Sad 2

Arthritis has gotten me too.

I was stopped in the middle of the street waiting to make a left hand turn into a gas station when a big tow truck pulling a van plowed into me. Said he didn't even see me. That big wooden bumper on his truck really hurt. Totaled my Pontiac Le Mans. Everything in the front seat ended in the back seat. Including the stuff in the glove box. That became an interesting case because the guy who owned the trucking company (not the driver) was arrested for murdering his wife on their boat while my case was going on. I was small fish compared to what else he was facing so his lawyer was eager to get rid of me. We settled out of court.  Second one happened when an elderly man pulled out in front of me. Steering wheel went into my mouth leaving teeth marks inside my lips and hitting my chest causing an infection around my heart. Totaled my little Datsun 280-Z. Two cars totaled within four months.  Guess that's why my neck hurts so bad today. :sigh:

• Sad 2

Jeepers I can feel for you. When my neck gets stiff it really hurts to turn it. I just use heating pad and take Advil for inflammation. That is about all I can do for it at this point. Maybe there is something that will work for you as well. And Biofreeze is my friend. I rub that on my neck as well. It really does help. Cold when it goes on but sure does feel better in a bit.

• Like 1