MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Communication question

Not new to prepping but communication is definitely a blind spot for me.

I have family living 5 miles (direct line) from my house. Driving distance is more like 8.5 mi. Live in hilly area, covered with forest.

What would be the best (within reasonable budget) way of communicating if cell phones are not working?

I started looking at 2 way radios and know the 35 mile range is BS telenor sms packages. In my area I'm sure that is probably closer to 1, which doesn't really help much.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, sorry for my ignorance on this subject.

Some aren’t strictly FM, according to DH & there are a plethora of repeaters, due to the high usage and popularity of them, recently.  It was just an idea…

Excellent idea MM.  I was trying to think of the other types, and was drawing a blank.  

“Thanks, good buddy”….”10-4”…. “Purple top, output”   1960’s flashback..:008Laughing:

1 hour ago, Annarchy said:

Some aren’t strictly FM, according to DH & there are a plethora of repeaters, due to the high usage and popularity of them, recently.  It was just an idea…

Most repeaters are purchased, constructed, and maintained by amateur radio "clubs" but are available to anyone who knows the frequency for usage. Many repeaters have historically been located on "public" land, while some were on private property. Last year (or was it 2 yrs ago, now?) the Forest Service told some of the clubs here in CA that they would have to relocate their repeaters! And this was AFTER the Carr Fire had shown just how important these repeaters are! We have lots of small communities tucked away in the mountains surrounding up, and, like maymayms said above, cell phone reception stinks - is NOT reliable, and "traditional" phones can go out if the lines are damaged by fire. I don't know how/if this got settled as I hadn't thought about it until this topic came up.

Also, Ham Radio is regulated by the Feds and you "need" a license in order to legally broadcast on any of the frequencies. There are also certain unwritten rules and courtesies that are expected to be observed and that is a learning curve all of its own. 

Maybe, at some point, satellite phones will be within reach for most people who live in remote areas to own. It would be best it this were to happen sooner than later!