MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Boosting Heart Health

These are the 3 supplements that actually boost heart health, new study shows

NASHIA BAKER
Updated 

I've been interested in heart health recently and happened to have seen this yesterday even though it's 7 months old.

To live a long, active life, it's important to care for your heart. And while that absolutely involves excellent nutrition and regular exercise, new research has discovered that you can further boost your heart health with three types of supplements.

A study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, which reviewed 900 clinical trials and 27 types of micronutrients, found that there are certain supplements that have the biggest impact on the heart: They include omega-3 fatty acids, folic acid, and the antioxidant coenzyme Q10, Insider reports.

Per the research, omega-3 fatty acids, also known as fish oil, lower mortality risks from heart disease, while folic acid cuts an individual's chances of experiencing a stroke. The antioxidant coenzyme Q10 reduces mortality risks from cardiovascular disease overall.

The team's broad approach to supplement research helped them determine the bestones for heart health, said Simin Liu, MD, MS, MPH, ScD, professor of epidemiology and medicine at Brown University and a lead researcher for the study.

"Research on micronutrient supplementation has mainly focused on the health effects of a single or a few vitamins and minerals," Liu said.

"We decided to take a comprehensive and systematic approach to evaluate all the publicly available and accessible studies reporting all micronutrients, including phytochemicals and antioxidant supplements, and their effects on cardiovascular risk factors as well as multiple cardiovascular diseases."

Beta carotene, a naturally occurring pigment, proved to be a supplement that did not benefit the heart, the researchers' findings uncovered. The pigment converts to vitamin A in the body, and can boost heart disease risks based on its toxicity; it can also cause bone aches, nausea, and hair loss, according to the US Preventive Services Task Force. The team also reported that vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, and selenium all had no direct correlation to reducing the risks of long-term cardiovascular disease.

These are the 3 supplements that actually boost heart health, new study shows (aol.com)

The last paragraph shows that we need to be careful about taking supplements just for the sake of taking them. Also make sure of their interactions with other meds you take. 

• Thanks 2

I have been taken those vits. for years now. But on the fish oil I have to be careful because of reflux. I have to order the ocean blue brand of fish oil as it is the only one that I am able to use without getting reflux. This is all good stuff to have as we are entering into and age where our medical field is as my GS puts it wac. 

• Like 1

I have a strong psychological aversion to anything fish related. But I think they make burpless fish oil capsules. That would be doable. I wouldn't realize I'm taking them. I assume they would be as potent as the regular ones. I don't know the process by which they remove the burp. If it affects their working ability or not. I know they do burpless garlic capsules. 

• Like 1

There are plant based omega 3 oil supplements out there for those who don’t like or can’t tolerate fish. 

• Like 1

The Ocean Blue brand of fish oil doesn't leave a fishy taste and no burping. It does not cause me to have heart burn either. I found out about it many years ago. My doctor I had then, had me try one that he was selling and swore it would not cause heartburn. Well it did and it was bad. So that was when I decided to look into it and found the Ocean Blue fish oil. It's not cheap but well worth it. 

• Like 1

I prefer fish oil too. I don't get any of the good stuff from fish so if I can take a capsule without thinking about where it came from, that would be nice. I can eat my tuna noodle casserole and my tuna salad about twice a year and that's it. I Googled and there are a lot of burpless fish oil capsules out there.

BUT, I wonder if we have to be aware of where it is farmed? Same thing could be asked about plant based things too I suppose. 

• Like 1