MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A Swim, A Backstroke And A Choke.

Jeepers

My first video. Hope it works.  Turn the audio down. 

I wish I knew how to shorten a video. I just wanted to show his great skill at doing the back stroke at about 57 seconds in. LOL. Looks like those swimming lessons really paid off! Thank God for water wings. Not meaning to brag! Just sharing and hope it brings a laugh to someone else. 

• Like 3

He's doing great.  Really well on the back stoke. And he should sleep good after all that swimming. Those water wings are great. My nextdoor neighbor used them with all her kids and grandkids and my daughter did the same with the grandkids also. Great invention on those.  Swimming lessons is something I think all kids need to take. They are paying off well. He will be losing the wings and swimming on his own before you know it. 

• Like 1

He also has one of those vests he uses sometimes. We are always right there with him in the pool. Usually my DIL and I or son and I. Most of the time all three of us. Just incase something would go wrong. One of us is always a few feet away at all times. We are probably what they call 'helicopter' parents. But when it comes to the water we try not to leave anything to chance. And if something were to happen while they were visiting me, I would never forgive myself. 

One little boy was in there one night and his dad (I suppose) was sitting off to the side. The little one was having a great time going up and down the pool steps while holding on to a rail. I was sitting on the side of the pool beside the steps. Then he got a little braver and started venturing out a little farther and going around me holding on to my legs. He got even more brave and went farther down the pool holding on to the side of the pool on the other side of me. I would guess he was around 4 years old because I saw he had on a swim diaper under his suit. Anyway, if he would have stepped off of the bottom step by himself, the water would have been over his head. He didn't have on water wings or a life vest or anything. I didn't dare move away. 

My legs are so sore now. Musta used a muscle. It was all fun and games while being buoyant in the water. Terra Firma...not so much.  LOL

• Like 2

I think that little boy's dad should have been paying better attention to what he was doing and also he should have had water wings or vest. Every year there are children that have drowned in backyard pools and even in a hotel pool. Not to mention lakes and such because of careless parents.  Glad you, your son and DIL have a good eye for what you are doing for your GS that is what all parents should be doing. But so many don't.  He's going to be a strong swimmer one day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awwww... so cute. 

I remember teaching my girls to swim when they came from Korea.  Used MILs apartment pool.  Poor DD1.  Just got to America and the gym class going on was....swimming!  Had to find a suit for her in November!  Never had co-ed classes...let alone junior high co-ed PE in a swim suit.  :0327:  

Now I have 2 Grsons who are fish!  One surfs and the other spear fishes with "Hawaiian sling".  They went out together recently and caught supper.  Their mom and auntie never did take to swimming much. 

MtRider  :wub:  

• Like 2

That is awesome Mt. Rider! Living in Hawaii would be a great place for water sports. Lucky boys!  :wub: 

The water wings are great for playing a in pool and being supervised. But they could give a false sense of security in a real life situation. So that's why the swim lessons. He thinks he can swim better than he really can.  :grinning-smiley-044:  I thought his back stroke was funny to watch. Michael Phelps has nothing to worry about! Although, I did read where one of his records was broken just this week end. I think by a young French guy. 

Personally, I have a lead bottom. It's all I can do to keep it up off the bottom of the pool. Luckily it's only 5 ft. deep. I still don't have a suit. I go in with a tank top and short shorts I got from Wal-Mart. When I move out of the hotel I won't have access to a pool anyway. 

• Like 2

My DD took swim lessons when she was in grade school. They offered it though the school and I jumped on it. In her teens she went to classes to be a lifeguard. Only thing she had left to do was swim across an Olympic size swimming pool. It was wintertime and it was an indoor pool with Clorine. Found out she had asthma, and she couldn't make it halfway across the pool for her certificate. They said she could wait till summer but by then she was in Coast Guard. So never did go back. Both my GD's and GS took swim lessons, and one is a lifeguard. Before she was married, she was teaching swim lessons. No where in Washington where she lives has a place where she can do that. So not teaching it anymore. 

• Like 1