MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I think I need help with the soup, you guys are probably asleep!

I put marinated ribs, mexican salami, rindless bacon, beef cubes, (my recipe said to fry it but I didn't read down that far) I put the bacon bones and pork roast back in the freezer, decided not to use those. I have the things on to boil and also the black beans on to boil in a separate pot. Maybe I should throw an onion etc. in with them. I think your recipe is more user friendly. I expect I will have to boil the meat for longer than was intended to cook the beef. Oh well.

It's after midnight here, but I've been having trouble sleeping, so here I am...

In my opinion, an onion would be a good addition to the soup. I chop mine, but some add a whole onion or two, then remove them.

Garlic is another good addition, if you like it.

If you plan on using the bean liquid, add stuff to it. If you'll use the (probably skimmed) meat water (broth), maybe you'd prefer to add stuff to that.

Decide what *you* like, and what your family will eat, and just go from there.

There's not a whole lot you can do "wrong" to a soup. Even if you add too much salt, potatoes will absorb it.

Since one recipe said to use beef stock when boiling the beans, and another recipe said to drain the water off the meats, I drained the water off the meats and then added the beans and their water to the drained meat.

I have added three whole onions, and think I may fry up heaps of garlic.

Thank you so much for your confidence, I hope it turns out!

GREAT! Wish I could've tried it!

But you really need to educate me...

What is "wizzed it a bit with a Bamix"????

("whiz" here can also mean slang for what guys do outside when there's no toilet nearby) :(

When I make bean soup, I use either ham hocks or a left over ham bone. My husband prefers pink eye beans (some people call them soldier beans).

I add chopped onion, chopped garlic and salt & pepper to taste.

If I don't have any pink eye beans on hand, I use the 15 bean mix commonly found in grocery stores.

• 4 years later...

Okay I'm certainly not a great cook, but when I cook beans sometimes the regular way beans, ham, garlic. BUT I love to cook them all night in slow cooker and I put beans, can green chilies (sp), can tomatoes, taco seasoning, sausage (cheese, polsa, smoked), salt, pepper, and garlic in a.m. Man its good, add cornbread and I'm eating "high on the hog" as my grandmother use to say.

Sounds *wonderful*!!! :feedme:

One of the nicest things about beans is their "bland" taste, which allows *us* the fun of adding whatever WE like!

:)

This recipe is very forgiving... if I don't have dried beef, I don't add it. Same with corned beef, or loin of pork... you can just use ham if that's what you have. The orange juice and red wine create an interesting taste that is like no other. But you can adjust the ingredients to your tastes.

Feijoada is the "national dish" of Brazil. According to tradition, it was created by creative slaves. The masters took the "best" parts of the beef and pork, and gave the "junk" leftovers to the slaves to eat. The tails, the hocks, the heads... everything that was time-intensive to prepare and not "pretty". The slaves took what they were given and added what more they could find, and would simmer it all day. The masters eventually caught on that their slaves had a wonderful, filling soup, and would ask for a taste.

The way I make Feijoada...

FEIJOADA – Brazilian Black Bean Soup

1 lb dried beef

3 c dried black beans

1/4 lb bacon

2 lb corned beef

3 lb loin of pork

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 c orange juice

1 c dry red wine

3 Tbsp olive oil

1 c chopped onions

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 sliced smoked sausages

1/4 tsp ground red pepper

Soak the dried beef in cold water overnight. Drain, cover with fresh water, and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, drain, and cut into bite-sized pieces.

Sort and wash the beans. Cover with water and bring to a boil; cover with lid and turn off heat. Let soak 1 hour. **Drain, add fresh water to cover, bring to a boil. Turn heat to low, allow beans to simmer for 2 hours. (ALTERNATE METHOD – soak overnight, drain, and then start at **.)

Cook the meats at the same time. Combine dried beef, corned beef, and bacon in a saucepan. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover and cook over low heat for 2 1/2 hours.

Season the pork with salt and pepper; roast in a 375 degree F oven for 1 hour 45 minutes, until done.

Drain the boiling meats and add to the beans. Remove 1 cup beans and mash well into a paste. Add back to the beans with orange juice and wine. Cook on low heat for 1 hour.

Heat the oil in skillet, sauté onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add sausages and brown. Slice sausages and add all to the beans with the red pepper. Cook another 30 minutes.

Slice the boiled meats and arrange on a platter. Serve with rice and sliced oranges.

~~~

Bean Soup recipe from Walton feeds site

BEAN SOUP

1 lb. white beans

6 cups cold water (1st amount)

1 ham bone with the meat on it

2 tsp salt

1 small onion

1 bay leaf

1/2 tsp dry mustard

4 cups water (2nd amount)

1 cup tomatoes

3 cups water (3rd amount)

In your soup pot, soak the beans in the 6 cups of water overnight in a cool place.

In the morning, add the ham bone, salt, onion, bay leaf, mustard and 4 cups water. Cook slowly, covered for 3 hours. You should stir the soup 2 or 3 times during this period.

Remove from heat and take out the ham bone and bay leaf, slip the meat from the bone and return meat to the soup. Add tomatoes and remaining 3 cups of water and simmer 1/2 hour. Soup is ready to serve.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010110215800/...a/beansoup.html