MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm with Buttercup (at least until the vinegar!)... onions, salt, (sometimes bacon) with ham.

Now, DON'T LAUGH...

I also like to add about a cup of applesauce to my bean soup. It adds a touch of natural sweetness and extra nutrition.

When I have leftover applesauce, I freeze it and then use it in the soup or in cookies or cake.

Got my Cranberry beans right here! The only thing I have added to them is a bit of dust...so pretty! Honest, they are in a 4oz jelly far (ball) right next to my computer.

Still haven't found them sold here yet...I am looking.

But if I did have them...I would add thyme, salt, pepper, ham hock perhaps and of course onion.

I read it somewhere in a magazine, and tried it because I had the applesauce left over.

It was the first time the (young) kids LOVED the bean soup!! It's good with the smoky ham flavor.

Cat, your not weird... or if you are then, that makes two of us ..

I have never cooked the applesauce in the beans, but do love a big ole blob on the side. I put a little applesauce and little bit of beans on the fork and down it goes.. It is delicious.

Reading this about your bean soup, made me so hungry,I had to go make me apot of bean soup. Now, I am so full I am miserable... AND IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!!

BUT IT SURE WAS GOOD!

Applesauce in bean soup sounds good. My recipe for chicken soup (actually it's my Mother-in-law's recipe) has an apple in it which also adds a touch of sweetness.

I season my bean soup with Bob's Red Mill Bean Seasoning mix.

Bob's Red Mill

I'm lucky enough to live near the mill. The seasoning is great! I just got a pressure cooker and I can't wait to make some bean soup!

• 9 months later...

I like to make the Brazilian bean dish "Feijoada" with black beans.

Traditionally, ham & bean soup around here (and probably most of the country) is made with navy beans... the little white ones.

But you can make a really colorful soup with the bean mixtures (homemade or store-bought). We buy a 15-bean soup mix that my husband LOVES.

Grubby... when they get hungry enough, they EAT.

Actually, I kept working on the recipe until they'd eat it. Oddly enough, if I serve it with cornbread, it's fine. They don't like it as well as "just soup".

And no, I DON'T use the salted pork ears, tails and feet in my Feijoada.

I use whatever I have that's suitable, though the recipe I have calls for bacon, dried beef, smoked sausage, and pork roast.

And where did *you* become familiar with Feijoada???

:)

This is the internet! LOL

When I'm on the computer I have at least 4 pages open!

That recipe seems good for throwing whatever you have on hand at the time. Leftover pork chops, smoked sausage, etc.

:)

Here is the recipe I found minus the pig ears,

feet and tails.

INGREDIENTS

1 lb of varied pork sausages (prefer smoked sausages)

1 lb of pork tenderloin

some slices of bacon

1 can of black beans (15.5Oz)

2 tbs vegetable oil

salt, garlic, chopped onions and bay leaves (bay leaves give a special taste to feijoada)

PREPARE

Feijoada is made with black beans and pork meats.

You can use a can of beans already cooked or learn how to cook dried beans.

Add black beans to a medium-sized pot with 2 tbs oil, salt, garlic, chopped onions and about 6 bay leaves.

Cook for about 15 minutes in med heat and set aside.

In a separated pan fry, cook cubes of pork tenderloin and slices of bacon with salt, garlic.

Add all the sausages sliced and stir medium-heat until dry all the water.

Add the cooked meat to the pan with the black beans and your feijoada is ready!

Cook your feijoada more 10 minutes to meat soak in the black beans. You can add some pepper sauce to your feijoada at this point.

Hint: to make the feijoada creamy, liquefy 1/2 cup of black beans in the blender and add to the feijoada.

SERVE:

Before serving the "Feijoada", you can serve a caipirinha as an appetizer. (This is a cold beverage)

Feijoada is a main dish frequently served with white rice, collard greens and seasoned manioc flour (farofa).

(White hominy)

To follow the "Feijoada", we serve orange segments as a dessert.

http://www.cookbrazil.com/feijoada.htm

The recipe I use has red wine and orange juice in it, too. It creates a very interesting combination of flavors.

I'll try to find time to type up my recipe. Things are busy now, and DD needs the 'puter for homework again.

I'd love to see your recipe when you have the time, and thanks for the recipe already posted. I will definitely make some.

Our kids will eat beans, we have the mixed beans, called Italian soup mix, I guess because it makes good Minestrone. I think there is another one too. We eat lentils too.

I have been thinking about collard greens because they are in a seed catalogue, at least I can serve them with the beans.

I grew up with bean soup, but our kids wouldn't eat it. In fact, DH really didn't care for it until we started using the 'Ozark' bean soup. That wasn't all that many years ago either. Probably between 15 and 18 years ago when we found that. It is a mixture of about 5 kinds of beans and you add ham, onion and green chillies. It is very good.

What I grew up on was navy beans or Great Northern bean soup. My mother just added bacon most of the time for flavor. Then at the table, we sometimes added catsup, or cream or vinegar and we always had corn bread with it.

Sure wish the kids would eat it, as I would love to make some bean soup.

I grew up on beans. Pinto bean soup, Grean Northern bean

soup, chilies, soups, soups.... I hated everyone of them!

I became an adult and now love everyone of them. It was

like overnight. I can't fix any of it, noone will eat any

of it.

I keep adding beans here and there to get the kids used

to beans but they pick out everyone of them.

What's the deal here...they like refried beans. ????

They know it's beans. What makes the taste so different?

They will even eat homemade refried beans. Weird.

I was very excited on Saturday to see smoked ribs and chorizos in a supermarket two hours from our home, we were on a trip. We bought the chorizos to put in the Brazilian soup. We ate them last night! Today I was really happy our own shop is improving, and they had Mexicana salami type thing and some marinated ribs, so I got those. They have roast pork on sale this week too.

How am I going with it?

Most of the time my favorite is pinto and bacon. I usually serve them with cornbread and fried potatoes.. The kids douse theirs with ketcup.. (Yuck) I put vinegar in mine and DH puts nearly a whole sleeve of crackers in his... I will use Great Northern and a ham bone and serve it the same way..