MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Greetings from Arizona!

DonsCountryGal

Hi!

I made it!!! After 2 days of an inability to post, I hope I’ve corrected the problem!

I’ve been married to my best friend, Don, for just over 2 years now. Don is the widower of Carla Emery, author of Encyclopedia of Country Living. (In case some of you don’t know, Carla’s 10th edition of EoCL was finally published in July of this year.) She had it all completed and on CD at the time of her passing in October of 2005. (I’ve given her web address in my signature if anyone is interested.)

We live in Tucson, AZ. When Don and I met, he lived east of Willcox, AZ, Because I was employed in Tucson, had a home here with my daughter and grandson, and was caring for my elderly Mother, he moved here with me when we got married. Mom went Home with the Lord this past April. We are now seriously considering (within a couple years if not sooner) getting this house sold and moving back to the home we still have in SE AZ. We currently have a caretaker living there that is taking good care of the place and bringing the garden back that Carla had so lovingly tended. Quite a few of her tomatoes have volunteered to return as well! Seeds from those plants will be harvested this year, and kept to increase for next year! If we’re still in the Tucson home, I’ll bring some seeds up here to grow. I’m a homesteader-at-heart, but city-living by necessity…ergo, the ‘cityhomesteader’ as my occupation.

With him, Don brought up a bunch of the chickens that he and Carla had had. City code here prevents us from having more than 24, so we’re a bit limited in that sense. The ‘girls’ have an area of the back yard exclusively for them, and they are allowed to stampede into half of the yard each afternoon. The other half is fenced off for our fruit trees, worm farm and garden. I’d had chickens a few years ago, but a local feral cat thought it’d be fun to knock them off one by one. After he killed the last one, I wasn’t going to get any more until I was sure he was not in the area. (I now know where he lives, and I think the owner finally neutered him cause he sticks around home more…haven’t seen him around the house in a long time.) We also have 5 cats, and the little dog you can see pictured in the back of the EoCL book with Don and Carla. Her name is Midget and she’s deaf and almost blind now, but still a joy to have around. My grandson, Gary, really enjoys doing chores with me in the coop and the garden. He’s had no fear of the chickens, even though he was little more than eye-to-eye with them when he started to walk! Here’s a pic of him giving the ‘girls’ some good lettuce!

Garyfeedschickens01.jpg[/img]

I’m looking forward to gleaning some good info, and hope to make some contributions as well.

Thanks for having me!

welcome4

Hi Pam! So glad to have you, I love your pictures of you chickens and your grandson is a doll.

That is so neat about the new edition of Country Living. This is now officially on my list to buy. I've heard nothing but rave reviews from others here on the board.

I live in Alabama with my dh and 7 dc on about 5 acres.

Look forward to getting to know you.

Stephanie

Thanks for all the 'welcomes'!

BisquitMaker...the Willcox area is known for their farms and orchards. There are quite a few 'pick-your-own' places that are quite popular. Schools and churchs will take busloads down!

They get more rain there than we get in Tucson, so it does take some careful watering.

What is the soil like in your area? Makes a bit of a difference with what you'd like to grow. I'm still in the learning process for what will do well and what time of year. The soil at our place east of Willcox is relatively sandy and does well with a lot of foods. The strawberry plants are really beginning to come through the mulch our caretaker has put down! Here in Tucson, they don't seem to survive for me at all. There is about a 10 degree difference in our two locations. A lot of Tucson has bodacious, thick caliche...do you have that in your area as well? It's almost impossible to irradicate it...may better off trying container gardening.

Ah...I'm beginning to ramble...

Anyways, thanks for ya'll's blessings!

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to MrsSurvival! I think you will enjoy it here as much as I do.

I love the way a lot of the threads here evolve into many new ways around old problems! Sometimes, threads get a little off track, but keep reading, because sometimes the juciest fruit is buried where you least expect it!

Mais cher! Don't miss out! There's lots to see!

Welcome to one of the most progressive "all-purpose" preparedness/survivalist sites on the Internet! Be sure to check out the for-members-only sections downstairs!

--Sharon

Archived