MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sinus problems

Snowmom

I've been wondering if any one here has ever used the Neti Pot for cleaning out sinuses.

Dr. Oz was on Oprah yesterday and they were talking about them and showed how to use them. I think I would have problems using one yet. frown

Here is a web site that shows how to use them and talks about them. smilehttp://www.jalanetipot.com/

Hi Snowmom,

I saw that program yesterday and since I've been having sinus problems this week I tried it. I used to have a netti pot but gave it to one of my kids. Back then I used plain water and, as they explained on the program, it's not as effective as warm water with a bit of salt. I've been having a problem with congestion this week and had a sinus headache Wednesday so I found a little pitcher with a spout, warmed some water, added salt and tried it. Shortly afterwards my nose was runny for a short while but after that the symptoms that had been hanging on were relieved. I'd try it again.

Vic, did you add salt to the water???

Peace, I guess I'm just a bit of a chicken. frown I have so much problems and as you may know I have nastle spray I use each day in my nose. I also have 2 inhalers I use, but only one each day.

Oh, yes, did you remember to blow your nose after you did the water thing??? Dr. OZ said to blow your nose. smile

Thank you both for letting us know how it worked for you. smileth6dee1705-2.gif

I've done sinus irrigation as well and found it to be relieving. You can also use a bulb syringe, that lets you control how much water you're using a bit more than the neti pot does.

I have huge water in the face issues so I use the bulb syringe (I can't put my face in water at all, even in the shower, I get a panic attack, hows that for neurotic?!?!?!?!!!!). I only do it when I'm REALLY congested in the head.

Putting a hot, wet washcloth over your cheeks also helps, and is certainly less drowning like!

Boiling onions with the house closed up and the heat relatively high also helps.

Mo7

I had nose surgery a few years ago - for chronic congestion, they did a submucosal resection of the turbinates & a septoplasty. After the first week, I HAD to do irrigations at least twice a day.

Plain water HURTS!! I had a recipe that was salt & baking soda. Those were mixed with a certain amount of water, not too hot, not too cold.

Sucked up some of the solution in a bulb syringe, stand hunch over the sink (shut the door - you don't want your spouse seeing you like this) and squirt it up one nostril. If you do nothing else, it will roll back out and you won't feel panicky. However, if you sniff/snort while you squirt, you will suck some of the water up past where your finger can reach. When the water drips into the back of your throat, you know you've got it! Spit it out!

I'd do that once or twice per side, and then blow my nose vigorously. It really did dislodge a whole lot of nasty stuff. Then I'd do it again once or twice per side, until all the nasty stuff was cleared out.

I didn't like doing it, but I felt a lot better when it was done.

I do have one of these although it's been quite a while since I've used it. It makes me gag every time, but it does work. Thankfully, I haven't had any sinus issues since last year...

Stacy

Archived